Financial topics

Investments, gold, currencies, surviving after a financial meltdown
aedens

Re: Financial topics

Post by aedens »

JLak wrote:
aedens wrote:In 1929 and 1874, there was still a strong tradition of paying dividends.
My point here is that it was government intervention in the markets that caused this disaster,

Time is a function. I shorted you, Thanks for the Option on the way down to Zero.
http://finance.wharton.upenn.edu/~benni ... MiER71.pdf

OMG price my Call.
http://www.math.uni-leipzig.de/~frey/fr ... g-CDOs.pdf

The Fed cannot M2M based on Value ?

The Grey Badger

Post by The Grey Badger »

They - and we - have been inhaling too much vaporware, that's for sure. :roll:

mannfm11

Post by mannfm11 »

I have read the decisionpoint data over the years. qqqbear at bear chat has been posting that page for a long time, quite often in response to my dividend rants. I am a dividend guy because I don't trust the PE's and having a degree in finance, I was taught that the valuation formula for stock was a formula of dividends and growth, not PE ratios. Big dividend payers are cutting their payouts every week. Last week it was GE. $10 will be an upside limit on GE for awhile due to that cut. Seems I heard another one as well. Using shillers data and a dividend formula I devised from the data, I had the SPX valued in the 370 range back in 2002-2003. The current dividend would probably have it in the 500 range. The earnings of the past few years have been inflated due to the financial bubble and can only get back there with a financial bubble so even the 10X PE/10 is in doubt in this one. The decision point data gives valuations on the SPX according to PE that get back to mid 1970's values.

mannfm11

Post by mannfm11 »

That is a good post Jlak. I am a boomer, but I had an education in finance. The boast about the 1990's was we were dealing with informed investors while they were driving the dividend yield of the SPX to near 1%, the US balanced it budget and California was able to adopt spending programs that now have it bankrupt out of expected flows from stock option exercises. The point was that idiots were made into financial experts by the financial press when in fact they didnt know jack schit and people with financial educations like me were looked at as idiots when I pointed this stuff out. I interviewed with Merrill Lynch in 1995 and couldn't answer the question to which the answer was to make Merrill as much money as I could selling the shit they wanted me to sell. i had a friend tell me who to call to get the interview tell me Merrill was like that. They all are like that. I got the interview because I could destroy the preliminary test, but I didn't have it in me to peddle a Ponzi scheme.

freddyv

Post by freddyv »

As an astute investor I always try to question my positions and assumptions and as a bear (currently, but certainly not permanently) I try to be even more open to evidence that would lead me to a bullish position. Having said that I truly believe we might have the clearest case of a bear market going forward as anytime I have experienced or studied, and that includes the Great Depression Era.

It seems that we have so many things working against the economy and the stock market that the average person/analyst/investor is overloaded and in many cases, ends up just clumping it all together and then sort of dismissing it all as unbelievable.

But there is another big issue making its way to the headlines lately: Underfunded Pensions

Here's an interesting and informative article on the subject:
http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/2009/03/p ... nings.html
Merrill estimated that the total impact as companies restate pension contributions and are forced to switch strategic asset allocations out of equities into Treasuries (or vice versa) could be as large as $200 billion, leading to more shocks to a increasing less liquid stock market.
...investors who are currently invested in companies such Unisys, First Horizon, Con Ed, New York Times, Fed Ex, Pactiv, Goodyear, Dupont (which recently reported a significant earnings miss the bulk of which was attributed to increased pension expense) and 3M should carefully reassess the bull cases here, due to the significant earnings downside potential that could arise out of pension expensing (we neglect to mention GM and F's adverse pension impact as both companies have many other things to worry about currently). Additionally, while not immediately apparent as a threat to earnings, the following companies have tremendous pension underfunding which will eventually catch up to them: LMT, RTN, AA, JNJ, XOM, VZ HON, CAT and EXC. Shareholders should proceeds with extreme caution as this topic becomes more and more noticed the by the mainstream media and the chattering heads on cable TV.
I believe the true difference in this stock market decline is the deflationary spiral. Not just that it rarely happens but that people simply don't understand it and how destructive to the economy it is. It seems pretty clear to me that we have at least another year to go and possibly several before enough wealth has been destroyed that we can get back to something similar to a normal economy. Every time I start believing that maybe we are close to a bottom I go back to the numbers and data and come to the conclusion that we have much farther to go.

This underfunded pensions issue is just another of many that all eminates from the same source: leverage. Most investors think that only the banks are leveraged but the truth is that every part of our economy is overleveraged to varying degrees. I think the fact that a typical American dog has more and better clothes, jewelry, etc, than many people in the world tells me just how deep it all really goes. People used to laugh at me for making such statements, now they seem to sort of understand how a dog getting a perm and wearing clothes is an economic signal; and a BIG one.

This is just one more issue on top of many others that seem too overwhelming to keep track of, and so most investors just put it out of their minds and go about their ways, investing as if this were just another bear blip in a big bull market. One wonders what exactly it will take to adjust the thinking of these people?

--Fred

aedens

Post by aedens »

freddyv wrote:As an astute investor I always try to question my positions and assumptions and as a bear (currently, but certainly not permanently) I try to be even more open to evidence that would lead me to a bullish position. Having said that I truly believe we might have the clearest case of a bear market going forward as anytime I have experienced or studied, and that includes the Great Depression Era.

It seems that we have so many things working against the economy and the stock market that the average person/analyst/investor is overloaded and in many cases, ends up just clumping it all together and then sort of dismissing it all as unbelievable.

But there is another big issue making its way to the headlines lately: Underfunded Pensions

Here's an interesting and informative article on the subject:
http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/2009/03/p ... nings.html
Merrill estimated that the total impact as companies restate pension contributions and are forced to switch strategic asset allocations out of equities into Treasuries (or vice versa) could be as large as $200 billion, leading to more shocks to a increasing less liquid stock market.
...investors who are currently invested in companies such Unisys, First Horizon, Con Ed, New York Times, Fed Ex, Pactiv, Goodyear, Dupont (which recently reported a significant earnings miss the bulk of which was attributed to increased pension expense) and 3M should carefully reassess the bull cases here, due to the significant earnings downside potential that could arise out of pension expensing (we neglect to mention GM and F's adverse pension impact as both companies have many other things to worry about currently). Additionally, while not immediately apparent as a threat to earnings, the following companies have tremendous pension underfunding which will eventually catch up to them: LMT, RTN, AA, JNJ, XOM, VZ HON, CAT and EXC. Shareholders should proceeds with extreme caution as this topic becomes more and more noticed the by the mainstream media and the chattering heads on cable TV.
I believe the true difference in this stock market decline is the deflationary spiral. Not just that it rarely happens but that people simply don't understand it and how destructive to the economy it is. It seems pretty clear to me that we have at least another year to go and possibly several before enough wealth has been destroyed that we can get back to something similar to a normal economy. Every time I start believing that maybe we are close to a bottom I go back to the numbers and data and come to the conclusion that we have much farther to go.

This underfunded pensions issue is just another of many that all eminates from the same source: leverage. Most investors think that only the banks are leveraged but the truth is that every part of our economy is overleveraged to varying degrees. I think the fact that a typical American dog has more and better clothes, jewelry, etc, than many people in the world tells me just how deep it all really goes. People used to laugh at me for making such statements, now they seem to sort of understand how a dog getting a perm and wearing clothes is an economic signal; and a BIG one.

This is just one more issue on top of many others that seem too overwhelming to keep track of, and so most investors just put it out of their minds and go about their ways, investing as if this were just another bear blip in a big bull market. One wonders what exactly it will take to adjust the thinking of these people?

--Fred
What part does the taxpayer not understand on being margined out?
Who says 3 percent of Planet factors in when 3.3 million jobs in
manufactoring work since 1989 have vanished and replaced with
now service sector jobs vanishing? Hayek was correct on the road to serfdom
was he not? You know better now...

Dividend payments are included in the appropriate indices as net dividends:
Net dividend = declared dividend less withholding tax as indicated below.

In the Dow Jones Islamic Market BRIC Equal Weighted Index, four components will be added, while one component will be deleted. That brings the number of components in the index to 73.
In the Dow Jones Islamic Market China Offshore Index, 19 components will be added, while one component will be deleted. That brings the number of components to 40. With two additions and 22 deletions, the number of components in the Dow Jones Islamic Market Hong Kong Index will decrease to 80. In the Dow Jones Islamic Market India Index, eight components will be added, while seven components will be deleted. That brings the number of components in the index to 202. The number of components in the Dow Jones Islamic Market Turkey Index will decrease to 32, with two additions and three deletions. The total free-float market capitalization of the reconstituted Dow Jones Islamic Market World Index increased to US$8.53 trillion from US$8.05 trillion1. The total free-float market capitalization of the reconstituted Dow Jones Islamic Market Asia/Pacific Index remained unchanged at US$1.32 trillion, while the total free-float market capitalization of the reconstituted Dow Jones Islamic Market Europe Index increased to US$2.34 trillion from US$1.84 trillion. As of March 9, 2009, the total free-float market capitalization of the reconstituted Dow Jones Islamic Market Americas Index decreased to US$4.76 trillion from US$4.79 trillion and the total free-float market capitalization of the Dow Jones Islamic Market Middle East & Africa Index increased to US$102.08 billion from US$96.09 billion.

wvbill

Post by wvbill »

From Martin Armstrong:

What we are confronted with currently, is what I have throughout the years defined as the "Waterfall Effect" that is a complete type of collapse from what you might call Exhaustion following a curved decline. Penetrating the Nov. low, could lead to a drop to 4,000 by June 2009 or September 2009.
Throughout the years of research covering all major economies and civilizations back to the beginning of recorded time, what has always distinguished the end of an era is how the decline unfolds. Sharp spike drops are indicative of corrections within a long-term trend that ultimately survives. When we see the “Waterfall Effect" the decline tends to mark the end of that organized state as we once knew it.

Link to full article:

http://www.contrahour.com/contrahour/20 ... ights.html

Bill

JLak

Post by JLak »

mannfm11 wrote:That is a good post Jlak. [thanks!] I am a boomer [that's alright, even us whippersnappers respect your opinion quite a bit], but I had an education in finance. The boast about the 1990's was we were dealing with informed investors while they were driving the dividend yield of the SPX to near 1%.... I didn't have it in me to peddle a Ponzi scheme.
Speaking of Ponzi Schemes, who do you think will get the cell next to Madoff? Stanford for a paltry $6B? How about Warren Buffett? 20 years and up to $200B in valuation without paying out a single dividend. Given that Brk was considered the ultimate 'value' investment, I now call into question the validity of Graham's 'value investing strategy, which is based on dividends, earnings and book value. Clearly I have no problem with dividends. We've seen that reported earnings can be easily manipulated so that's pretty useless. Book value also has almost no basis in reality and clearly has more utility as a source of depreciation for tax purposes than anything else. If the business fails, then even the capital equipment is worthless for obvious reasons (modern capital at least). So basically, value investing a'la Graham is antiquated. I want to see net margin growth and dividends. This is econ 101 as a growing company should only do so to attain greater economy of scale.

John

Ratings agencies

Post by John »

-- Ratings agencies

There was an interesting interview on CNBC today, revealing some
detail about the corruption of the ratings agencies.

Charlie Gasparino interviewed Neil Baron, former vice chairman of
Fitch Ratings.
Neil Baron wrote: > The record [of the ratings agencies] was excellent until what they
> refer to loosely as "subprime."

> There was Enron and Worldcom, ... but it didn't compare with what
> happened with the advent of subprime.

> You need to look at ratings agencies when there was just S&P and
> Moody's. They had it to themselves, and they did not have to
> cmpete for business. The enter Fitch.

> I was vice-chairman and general counsel of Fitch, there until
> 1998, when we sold Fitch and I retired.

> But Fitch introduced competition.

> What Fitch did is it went out and met with probably 200
> investors. And the investors became comfortable with the analysis,
> and the investors asked for the Fitch ratings. So that was the
> investor demand at that time that generated the business, and
> things worked well during that period.

> You know that subprime wasn't really introduced until 2005.

> [[Gasparino: Although the credit quality of the mortgages started
> dipping clearly in 97, 98, 99, and then it led into the
> subprime.]]

> I would say that's generally true, but that the ratings of
> mortgage backed securities through that period performed well.

> What went wrong them is you started off with bad loans, loans
> were mortgage lenders put people into loans they couldn't afford.

> [[Gasparino: I heard that ratings guys were being paid $200 grand
> a year until the mid 1990s, and then when the mortgage market
> picked up, people that had been making $200 grand a year were
> making a million dollars a year -- and they were getting paid on
> volume -- on volume of companies that they rated. Isn't that the
> case?]

> You're correct. Part of the cost of that was that the best
> rating analysts were being head hunted by investment banks, and
> being brought on for 4, 5 times what they had been making. so
> they had to compete.

> But also, there was a general shift of focus away from the
> correctness of ratings and the appreciation of what an important
> role ratings play in our economy and in our financial systems --
> there was a shift away from that to revenue production.
Once again, things start going off the rails in the late 1990s, the
time of the dot-com bubble, and just after the time that all the
Great Depression survivors had retired.

Sincerely,

John

freddyv

Post by freddyv »

wvbill wrote:From Martin Armstrong:

What we are confronted with currently, is what I have throughout the years defined as the "Waterfall Effect" that is a complete type of collapse from what you might call Exhaustion following a curved decline. Penetrating the Nov. low, could lead to a drop to 4,000 by June 2009 or September 2009.
Throughout the years of research covering all major economies and civilizations back to the beginning of recorded time, what has always distinguished the end of an era is how the decline unfolds. Sharp spike drops are indicative of corrections within a long-term trend that ultimately survives. When we see the “Waterfall Effect" the decline tends to mark the end of that organized state as we once knew it.

Link to full article:

http://www.contrahour.com/contrahour/20 ... ights.html

Bill
An outstanding article. Very thought provoking.

--Fred