Financial topics

Investments, gold, currencies, surviving after a financial meltdown
gerald

Re: Financial topics

Post by gerald »

UN Says New Currency Is Needed to Fix Broken ‘Confidence Game’

By Jonathan Tirone

Sept. 7 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar’s role in international trade should be reduced by establishing a new currency to protect emerging markets from the “confidence game” of financial speculation, the United Nations said.
UN countries should agree on the creation of a global reserve bank to issue the currency and to monitor the national exchange rates of its members, the Geneva-based UN Conference on Trade and Development said today in a report.
China, India, Brazil and Russia this year called for a replacement to the dollar as the main reserve currency after the financial crisis sparked by the collapse of the U.S. mortgage market led to the worst global recession since World War II. China, the world’s largest holder of dollar reserves, said a supranational currency such as the International Monetary Fund’s special drawing rights, or SDRs, may add stability.
“There’s a much better chance of achieving a stable pattern of exchange rates in a multilaterally-agreed framework for exchange-rate management,” Heiner Flassbeck, co-author of the report and a UNCTAD director, said in an interview from Geneva. “An initiative equivalent to Bretton Woods or the European Monetary System is needed.”
The 1944 Bretton Woods agreement created the modern global economic system and institutions including the IMF and World Bank.
Hmmmm, maybe I am missing something, but in other words, instead of a few countries having major influence on global monetary issues we turn these decisions over to a group of UN bureaucrats. And what makes one think they will NOT be on a super power trip? and NOT think they are gods? " Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".
Gerald
Last edited by John on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quotes

fash

Depression versus Recession?

Post by fash »

Depression versus Recession?
By Barry Ritholtz - September 9th, 2009, 8:15PM
Despite most of the economics profession declaring the recession over — I think they are premature — I got into an interesting debate with Mish last night over the state of the economy.

I have been calling this the “Great Recession,” and suggested the worst of it is over, and we are now in a not-so-great, ordinary recession. Mish believes we are in something far worse: A Depression (See Depression Debate – Is this a Depression?)

In an email exchange, Mish expanded his thinking:

“I believe we are in a depression.

Prior to the “Great Depression” the word recession did not even exist. I do not know where the dividing line is, I just know we are over it.

If that sounds strange, note the NBER does not have a formal definition for recession. Some people get together and decide when it started and when it ended, based on many factors of unknown and probably varying weight. Recessions are not based on two quarters of negative growth as many people think.

To say we are in a depression one needs to look at a lot of factors and I certainly mentioned them. Note that we can have “a depression” even if it does not match “the great depression”.

There are just too many parallels to things that happened in the 30’s in regards to housing, credit, the stock market, jobs, treasury yields, etc etc etc that “recessions” since then did not have.

Treasury yields and consumer spending might easily be deciding factors. The Fed’s reaction is another difference. This is certainly not like the stagflations in the 70’s and 80’s at all. And it differs from the 2001 recession in that consumers threw in the towel.

So it’s not just a case of being more severe, there are numerous parallels in play that do not match prior recessions.”

I have a few minor quibbles with some of his comments, but for the most part, we essentially agree that 1) This was a very severe economic downturn; 2) Some things are very parallel to 1929-39 era.

Our disagreements? Well, the NBER includes a definition of a recession every time they formally announce one. Here is the December 2008 Business Cycle Dating Committee statement:

“A recession is a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in production, employment, real income, and other indicators. A recession begins when the economy reaches a peak of activity and ends when the economy reaches its trough. Between trough and peak, the economy is in an expansion.”

On the other hand, I know of no widely recognized definition of what a Depression is.

Let’s look beyond that. While we can find some obvious parallels between the Great Depression and the Great Recession, there are also some enormous differences. Looking at the current contraction versus the 1930s, we note several very significant factors that distinguish the two eras: The safety net of unemployment insurance, FDIC bank deposit guarantees, Medicaid, food stamps, Social Security, etc. that exist today. The USA safety net may not be ideal, but it is far better than what existed during the 1930s. That alone has made this contraction quantitatively different in terms of Human misery than the 1930s.

OK, this recession is far less miserable than the 1930s. What of the economic data, the specifics from that era?

Consider:

• From its 1929 peak to the ultimate low in 1932, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 89% versus 43% for the 2008 collapse — literally, the Depression was 2X worse;

• In the 1920s and ’30s, Mortgages were interest only, 3 (or 5) year financings, with a balloon payment at the end. No balloon payment, or rollover of credit, you lost the house.

• Credit disappeared after the crash — and defaults skyrocketed. Foreclosures may be high today at a rate of 1 per 81 homes with a mortgage, but they are nowhere near the 1 in 4 homes with a mortgage that defaulted or could not roll over their loans;

• I haven’t come across reliable data as to how much home sales dropped and prices fell, but with a 25% foreclosure rate and credit nonexistent, it is probable that, like the stock market, it was far worse than the current housing collapse;

• Manufacturing output took production in the 1930s back to the lowest levels since 1901, almost a third of a century earlier;

• Consider the steel industry: Production dropped 75% drop from its pre-crash peak (1929), cascading from more than 63 million net tons of ingot iron in 1929 to barely 15 million tons produced in 1932.

• Bethlehem Steel, which had been at 90% capacity in ‘29, was operating at 13% of capacity by 1932. Other than securitizing mortgages, underwriting derivatives and/or credit default swaps, can you name any major company or industry that saw this sort of collapse today?

• Any measure of unemployment — U3 at ~10% or U6 ~17% — is far below the 1930’s one in four adult males unable to fund work. (See chart below)

• Producer prices (PPI index) didn’t fall single digits — it utterly collapsed in the 1930s, far worse than today.

During the Great Depression, the U.S. economy simply collapsed into shambles. Lenders faced heavy investment losses, communities were unable to collect property taxes, the construction industry was all but frozen. Unemployment rates ran over 25 percent. Industrial capacity plummeted. Municipalities were badly in need of funds. The automobile industry ground to a full halt. During the worst of the Depression, one in five homes was in danger of
foreclosure.

Even the worst of the complex difficulties of the 2008–2009 credit crunch and housing recession were mere sun showers compared to the financial hurricane of the Depression era: Banks have f ailed, but the FDIC’s guarantees have prevented widespread panic. Unemployment has risen, but f ar below the worst levels of the 1930s. And the two million or so foreclosures over recent years are f ar less, on a percentage basis, than the nearly 20 percent foreclosure rate in the 1930s.

In short, while the broad economy circa early 2009 is ugly, it remains far healthier than during the Great Depression — by just about every measure, and in many cases, by orders of magnitudes.

Have a look at this chart. It shows not just underemployment (full time workers who could only find part time jobs) but shows that at the peak, over 35% of workers were unemployed.
Last edited by John on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix image

aedens

Post by aedens »

SD did some current data ripping saving me a ton of time.
http://suddendebt.blogspot.com/
Hat tip SD
I totally agree with the assesment. As we suggested here also to the short legs forward to growth into direct context to PMI index
to CPI issues to whit, in John's graph to the 1995 spread it makes logical sense to that event cascading in the system to those who remember.
Yes, I went bear early also but you must realize this is a preservation of capital event as we initially conveyed very early here.
Higgy made some good august observation's but we disagreeded on timing only based on our data sets. My inflection point is still October. As I conveyed on tearup's and settlements coming I pushed forward to February and Equity puts if any.
40/30/20/10 populations data sets I am concerned with and I am seeing already 40% reduction in some critical business clusters on the
International scale of business in number of Employee's. I am concerned with second and third stock derivatives.

FYI Derivatives made the news in 1995 when rogue trader Nick Leeson single-handedly caused the failure of the Barings bank of England.
http://www.newyorkfed.org/newsevents/ne ... 81031.html

http://www.financialsense.com/Market/daily/friday.htm
Last edited by aedens on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

abs

Post by abs »

Anyone happen to catch Geithner being interviewed on CNBC last night? About 15 minutes into the conversation Steve Leisman appears to get a little outraged by Geithner's comments and in an emotional outburst says something like (not exact quote) "you guys all missed this thing coming, how do you expect us to believe you'll see the next big risk?". Astonishingly, Geithner then stated the comment "wasn't fair" that in fact, the Treasury and Fed DID act in a responsible way to save the system . . . The whole discussion is quite amazing since it's obvious that Geithner is lying through his teeth almost the whole time. I checked YouTube and it's not up there yet, it wouldn't surprise me if it is rebroadcast on CNBC today however.

Andrew

freddyv

Re: Depression versus Recession?

Post by freddyv »

fash wrote:OK, this recession is far less miserable than the 1930s.

Yes, it is...so far. The problem is that from my POV it appears that the bubble was SIGNIFICANTLY LARGER than the one proceeding the Great Depression (I know of no one who will disagree with me on that) and it took longer to build up and so it appears, to me at least, to be a slow-motion version of the 1929 to 1932 decline. Our crash happened a year after the market began to decline. This time the market took 5 months to hit bottom after the crash (in October 2008) began instead of a month. OUR DEPRESSION, IMO, is far from over. Just as most make the mistake of thinking that the crash of '29 was no big deal in the spring of 1930, you and Jim Cramer are failing to look at a bigger picture that looks extremely ominous from my POV.

Look at our future: poor demographics; debt in both the public and sector that can't be paid off without devaluing our currency or otherwise defaulting in some manner; out-of-control public spending; an in-debt and retrenching consumer who had made up 70% of GDP; a severly overpriced stock market based on historical valuations; massive over capacity all throughout the global economy; an economy still being artificially inflated by the powers-that-be; Distrust between major trading partners; just to name a few.

I've been a bull all of my life because it was easy to see that the path forward lead to greener pastures. I simply don't see those greener pastures anymore. I believe that we are only in the beginning stages of dealing with the problems we created over the past decades since we last learned our lessons the hard way in the 1930's and 1940's.

Yes, the recession is over but the next one is not going to be years from now it will be within the next year and it will be the great destroyer of wealth because we fnd ourselves with increasingly fewer options, both publicly and privately. You can only cure a debt hangover with debt so many times.

--Fred

John

Breakfast with Dave Rosenberg, 11-Sep-2009

Post by John »

-- Breakfast with Dave Rosenberg, 11-Sep-2009

Several web site readers have called my attention to today's
"Breakfast with Dave Rosenberg" commentary at:

https://ems.gluskinsheff.net/Articles/B ... 091109.pdf

Unfortunately, you can't access the PDF there unless you have a
subscription, but one person e-mailed me the PDF file, and it's
available here:

http://generationaldynamics.com/ww2010/Breakfast_with_Dave_091109.pdf

The commentary gives several reasons why the current rally is
continuing, despite its insanity.

Michael Mish Shedlock has provides a summary on his blog at:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot. ... onomy.html

It's well worth the read.

John

John

Post by John »

croumeli wrote: > Anyway, I had some questions and I would like some more insight
> from all of you here. Let me begin that generally I believe with
> most of you here that we are in a deflationary spiral, but no
> matter how I look at it, I ultimately keep on concluding that what
> keeps the dollar valuable in my eyes is its “reserve” status.

> In other words, had the US not had this "privilege", I believe we
> already would have been in a hyper inflationary state because no
> country in their right mind would choose to prop up our economy
> (i.e. China would not be buying our bonds). Our economy is being
> proped up by necessity to only preserve the viability of the
> currency itself.
I agree with this. The use of the dollar as a reserve currency is
the big difference that makes comparisons with the Weimar Republic
and Zimbabwe irrelevant.

John

jwfid

Cause of bear market rally

Post by jwfid »

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what you folks might think about quantitative easing being the cause of the current bear market rally. After reading this post from Zero Hedge, this idea does make some sense: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/correl ... s-start-qe

Joe

John

Re: Madoff

Post by John »

Dear Jason,
Jason wrote: > Has Generational Dynamics become a “blame fest” where every major
> financial problem somehow has to be related to Gen-X and their
> supposed nihilism ? Does this simplistic cookbook view blind you
> from seeing any other reality ?

> How would you explain the existence of highly successful Gen-X
> businesses like Google ?
Most Gen-Xers are decent, honest, ethical people. The nihilism comes
from the minority that hate Boomers so much that their hatred rules
their lives. People like the founders of Google didn't fall into
that trap.

John

John

Re: Madoff

Post by John »

Dear Barry,
mannfm11 wrote: > The source of most of my information about housing was written by
> one Doug Noland of Prudent Bear. Doug wrote a damning piece in
> 2000 on Franklin Raines. In fact, the piece was a speech he made
> to a financial market group, I believe in October of that year.
> Doug claimed all along that the GSE's were the source of the
> financial bubble that was brewing at the time. For years he posted
> a section in his weekly writing called "California Bubble Watch"
> and one about the GSE's and their expansion of their portfolios
> along with the mortgage application indexes. This was only a
> surprise to those that were stuffing trillions in their pockets.
I most certainly agree that these abuses were committed by Franklin
Raines and others, but it was never clear that this meant that the
cost of purchasing a home entered a bubble in 1995.

That's what this graph illustrates:

Cost of owning real estate versus renting, 1975-2002

I've always been a little bothered by the fact that the housing
bubble began as late as 2003.

But this research that shows that it began in 1995 really ties a lot
of things together. The real estate bubble began at the same time as
the technology bubble. That makes it clear that something major must
have happened in the 1995 time frame, something that affected people
over the entire population, and that would have to be a generational
change.
mannfm11 wrote: > I see someone questioned the Xers being involved in this. The SEC
> works like this. You get a job there as a lawyer and do
> investigation. You are careful to only investigate and prosecute
> those that you have no benefit in the future of being employed
> there. Clearly the ones doing the investigation are the Indians
> and not the chiefs. Madoff had connections all over the place and
> I am sure that there were plenty of outfits out there calling off
> any dogs that might bite him, as he was woven through the fabric
> of the entire industry. The posted article is merely one example
> of the SEC's selective enforcement. The current stock market is
> nothing more than wall street firms tossing stock back and forth
> as the trusts did in the 1920's to manipulate perceptions the
> market is going up. The Xers in this case were looking for the
> next job to get them ahead. Goldman pays $1 million a year, not
> $100K plus benefits.
That's really a horrific experience you've had to go through in the
story you told. These people are not only crooks, they're bullies.
They don't care who they screw, as long as they can put some
convictions on their resumes, and justify their jobs and their
budgets. It's like the feminists who have created an industry out of
bring false allegations against men.

John