24-Dec-11 WV-Syria may be responsible for suicide bombings

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Marc

Re: 24-Dec-11 WV-Syria may be responsible for suicide bombin

Post by Marc »

Trevor wrote:Islamophobia is on the rise and despite what they like to say, it's getting worse in Europe, matching or even surpassing our problems. I would imagine it's because they have a great Muslim population than we do. In France, the under-30 population, or their version of the Hero generation, about 1/3 of them are Muslim. This is looking like it's going to be more unpleasant, and let's not forget the problems they're already having.

But it's far from one-sided. Radicalism is growing in strength as well and many are afraid to speak out, although I'm sure part of that is cultural, since they believe that if there is a problem, it should be dealt with within the community, not by outsiders.
It would be valuable to know just how integrated the Muslim population feels in France (and btw, I don't mean that in any sort of racist way). But, I think we all agree that it is significant because if the Muslim population in France feels heavily alienated from French life, there could be real problems among France's Millennials if called upon to take up arms against Muslims in a Middle Eastern or North African country. Again, it is worth further research. Thanks for bringing up the valuable issue. —Best regards, Marc

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Just from what I've read, a lot of them do feel alienated. Not all of them, not even close, but enough to where it's a significant problem. Their population as a whole isn't radical, but many of the Imams are, making it a Prophet/Hero relationship. With the French population becoming less tolerant, I'm sure that's going to have a rebound effect and thus, the cycle continues.

Marc

Post by Marc »

Trevor wrote:Just from what I've read, a lot of them do feel alienated. Not all of them, not even close, but enough to where it's a significant problem. Their population as a whole isn't radical, but many of the Imams are, making it a Prophet/Hero relationship. With the French population becoming less tolerant, I'm sure that's going to have a rebound effect and thus, the cycle continues.
France certainly has challenges in figuring out how to respect cultural diversity in France while helping its diverse population to "feel French," including feeling accepted in French society. I can certainly see the Prophet/Hero relationship dynamic you mention (i.e., some radical imams from countries in an Awakening era versus many of those they preach to as well as, overall, the general French population). France will, in all likelihood, hold together, but could spawn some significant domestic friction and even domestic terrorism if things don't go well. I hope France doesn't turn into a tinderbox, and can somehow find solutions here. —Best regards, Marc

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Yeah, I hope so too. I'm doubtful about the worst-case scenario (a 21st century French Commune) but I think it's going to cause plenty of problems. For many, their identity is not French and have more ties to their homelands, even if they were born in France or whatever European country they live in. One option, although it's not being seriously considered at this point, was throwing them out of the country.

Marc

Post by Marc »

Trevor wrote:Yeah, I hope so too. I'm doubtful about the worst-case scenario (a 21st century French Commune) but I think it's going to cause plenty of problems. For many, their identity is not French and have more ties to their homelands, even if they were born in France or whatever European country they live in. One option, although it's not being seriously considered at this point, was throwing them out of the country.
Short of throwing them out of the country, I do wonder, if a "total war" situation broke out (such as the "Clash of Civilizations" world war actually breaking out), if France perhaps would opt to place many of them in internment camps reminiscent of what the US did to Japanese during World War II. (This way, France [and even some of its allies] might well rationalize, the immigrants couldn't migrate to "Axis" countries and fight for them, or act as a "Trojan column" in conjunction with Axis powers.) In Crisis situations, civil rights have a way of getting bent here and there as we know. —Best regards, Marc

JULLIEN1

Post by JULLIEN1 »

Marc wrote
I can understand your position here in regards to laws that disallow people in a particular country to state what are felt to be lies, based upon reliable evidence, pertaining to recent genocides. In a related vein, many are aware here that Germany, as well as other countries which were seriously impacted by the Holocaust genocide (e.g., Austria, Poland, Hungary, France), have laws against Holocaust denial and against the display of Nazi symbols. In these countries, I can see the sense of anguish and embarrassment in allowing things such as openly-flying Nazi flags, or even the distribution of neo-Nazi materials. These countries seem to struggle with balancing trying to "keep the ugly past at bay" with placing limits on free speech.
I totaly agree and I can add more : France has no law forbidding to call the Algeria war a "genocide" (it's just an overstatement)... contrary to Turkey where free speech is limited in order to promote a lie, the officialdom claim denying there was ever a genocide in Turkey.
Ten years ago, we had violent polemics about torture in Algeria and a general who had told he had really tortured people but tried to explain why he did was sentenced.
Six years ago, a Turkish journalist wrote the historical truth about the events of 1915. He was not sentenced : he was murdered.