19-Jan-12 WV-30th anniversary of Falklands/Malvinas war

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

19-Jan-12 WV-30th anniversary of Falklands/Malvinas war

Post by John »

19-Jan-12 World View -- Tensions rise on 30th anniversary of Falklands/Malvinas war

Cameron accuses Argentina of 'colonialism'

** 19-Jan-12 World View -- Tensions rise on 30th anniversary of Falklands/Malvinas war
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 19#e120119

Keys: Generational Dynamics, Britain, Argentina, Falkland Islands, Malvinas Islands, David Cameron, Amado Boudou

OLD1953

Re: 19-Jan-12 WV-30th anniversary of Falklands/Malvinas war

Post by OLD1953 »

Unless something has changed very recently, the "resources" of the Falklands are wool and squid. They clear about 40 million a year by selling fishing licenses to trawlers, primarily for squid. There is NOISE about oil reserves, however no commercially exploitable well has yet been drilled. (Ha - there's NOISE about gazillions of barrels of oil under the place I used to live in Kentucky, but the reality is that the formations are such as to make drilling very difficult - you have to hit a very small sweet spot, or you get nada. Such is life on the New Madrid fault.) Really some big time "stealing" going on there.

If Argentina had control of the Falklands, IMHO they'd just let them rot.

John

Post by John »

If I hadn't been buried last night in computer problems with the web site down,
then I'd have included the following story:

Argentina starts 'squid war' against Falkland Islands

Argentina has reportedly started a "squid war" against the Falkland
Islands, telling fishermen to catch the creatures before they reach
the waters around the British territory.

Argentina reportedly hopes the orders will deal a blow to the Falkland
Islands' fishing industry, which is worth up to £45 million a year –
half of which comes from catches of Illex squid

Illex squid start their one-year lives off the River Plate, which
marks the border of Argentina and Uruguay, in September and move
southwards as they grow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... lands.html

John

Justin

Post by Justin »

Haha that is quite funny! Do you think there are any generational issues at work here with the Falklands, or is it simply another squabble over oil with nothing more to it?

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Well, Britain is in a Crisis Era, but I don't think Argentina is, so it might be on Britain's side.

Post by Guest »

Trevor wrote:Well, Britain is in a Crisis Era, but I don't think Argentina is, so it might be on Britain's side.
I dont know what planet you are on but the uk is not in crisis. We may have shoot are selfs in the foot with the eu vito. But if we had gone along with it we would be in trouble. Witch country always has imf Bail outs the uk or argey what one of the two countries has a triple a credit raiting or who has the lower inflation at 2% the uk or25% argey and who do the people of the Falklands want if we use the augment its on the same cont shelf the uk should own the whole of europe and the usa the whole of south amrica

gerald

Post by gerald »

Will there be another Falklands /Malvains War? who knows, However, war can work as a distraction. Can they afford one? hmmm --- When I was in Buenos Aires about 1 1/2 years ago most of the lights and the air conditioning was off in the international airport. Couldn't afford it? On the main shopping boulevard the side walks had some fairly large holes which were protected by plywood or barricades. No repair work was visible. The Falklands War memorial, with guards in uniform, was falling apart. It was like a joke from movie. Their government wants a war?