13-Feb-12 World View -- Greece approves austerity measures

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

13-Feb-12 World View -- Greece approves austerity measures

Post by John »

13-Feb-12 World View -- Greece approves austerity measures among riots as Athens burns

China's Xi Jinping visits Washington

** 13-Feb-12 World View -- Greece approves austerity measures among riots as Athens burns
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 13#e120213

Contents:
China's Xi Jinping visits Washington amid ideological battle back home
Arab League calls for U.N. joint peacekeeping force in Syria
Violent riots in Athens, Greece, as Parliament debates austerity measures
Greece's Parliament approves austerity measures demanded by EU-IMF
Greece to make official offer to private investors by Friday
Prosecutors refusing to investigate MF Global's 'vaporized' $1.2 billion

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, China, Xi Jinping, Peng Liyuan,
Hu Jintao, Arab League, United Nations, Security Council,
Syria, Russia, China, Greece, Syntagma Square,
Attikon cinema, Asty cinema, European Union,
International Monetary Fund, European Central Bank,
private sector involvement, MF Global, Justice Department

Trevor

Re: 13-Feb-12 World View -- Greece approves austerity measur

Post by Trevor »

I've noticed that much of the attitude when it comes to a possible war with China is: "It can't happen. Even if it does, our forces are far superior to theirs." We've been on top for 65 years and for virtually everyone in power today, they can't remember anything else. Rumsfeld was the last one with a personal memory of WWII that could actually influence events.

We may not be quite as blind as we were before, since I've watched people discuss the possibility, but we don't seem to consider them a very serious opponent.

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

Trevor, that attitude changes rapidly with the first battle that claims a tens of thousands. At Somme, in WWI, after several days of battle with no real movement of lines, over a million men had died trying to claim a few yards of mud. After a battle even 1% of that size, the entire attitude of the countries involved change from "we'll beat those primitives in a few weeks" to "we will fight forever for revenge".

I doubt the reason for lack of prosecution is Corzine per se, more likely pressure from the CME to avoid paying out that enormous debt they owe. Billions talk louder than any friendship, no matter how great.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Yeah, I'm aware, but it's a bad idea to underestimate our future opponent. Thinking that we're untouchable is just going to make this war more difficult for us. I know what happened in the days and years before Pearl Harbor. We had a very similar attitude towards Japan and that's what I'm worried about.