29-May-12 World View -- World outrage focuses on Syria

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

29-May-12 World View -- World outrage focuses on Syria

Post by John »

29-May-12 World View -- World outrage focuses on Syria's Houla massacre

Sweden's Loreen wins Eurovision Song Contest

** 29-May-12 World View -- World outrage focuses on Syria's Houla massacre
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 29#e120529

Contents:
Britain and Russia return to previous position on Syria
International outrage appears to grow over Syria
Germany's Merkel prepares to strike back against France's Hollande on austerity
Sweden's Loreen wins Eurovision Song Contest

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Syria, Britain, Russia, Bashar al-Assad,
Kofi Annan, Vietnam War, My Lai, France, François Hollande,
Germany, Angela Merkel, eurobonds, Azerbaijan,
Eurovision Song Contest, Loreen, Sweden, Abba

Marc

Re: 29-May-12 World View -- World outrage focuses on Syria

Post by Marc »

I think that one of the most culturally poignant things you've ever posted, John, was of the recent Eurovision song winner from Sweden contrasted with Abba's winning entry from 1974. It proves that an insatiable craving for mediocre music in the recent late Third Turning/early Fourth Turning era is not just an American phenomenon by any means, despite the nasty corporate control of the American music and radio industry in the last decade or so. Yes, for anyone who has even slightly followed the Eurovision Song Contest in the last few decades, remember when Eurovision produced global melodic hits such as Abba's "Waterloo" and Mocedades' "Eres Tú"? Music today has become all about having the best image, being the best fashionista, being the best hipster, being the best badass, etc., etc. — and that it has become the norm to not really care about the quality of the music anymore, but to just use music as a fashion accessory of sorts. I even wonder if the next Second Turning, assuming it rolls around eventually, will be enough to get people to like and appreciate (and compose a lot of) good music again. —Best regards, Marc

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

Musical tastes are changing, the world of classical performance is worrying about matching the trends in musical tases. Other entertainments have changed as well, heroes (not antiheroes) are in while "slice of life" movies and books are out. That's popular entertainment of course, what the literati and the critics are worrying about this week doesn't matter.

Marc

Post by Marc »

Thanks, OLD, for the good perspective in regards to musical/entertainment tastes. I have no problem with the change in taste from, say, antiheroes to heroes (such as evidenced in the blockbuster movie The Avengers). And, that's to be expected as we move from one Turning to another. I guess what really gets me is how okay society has become with such bad quality music, and strongly feel that it's not a generation gap — the mainstream music today really does suck :( I wish that, as part of changing musical tastes, we had "quality Fourth Turning music" at present instead of, say, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, etc. Movies and books today seem to be basically okay, but again, the music is the pits (at least whatever seems popular today), and the public seems to be really eating it up. But, enough of the rant for now :) Thanks again! —Best regards, Marc

grant

Post by grant »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJGiZrJG ... re=related
I think the 2006 winners illustrate the point well enough...

Marc

Post by Marc »

grant wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJGiZrJG ... re=related
I think the 2006 winners illustrate the point well enough...
Grant, that's a great example of the kitsch today that people go ape over as being a musical sensation. In other words, it's all about a provocative image at the expense of the music itself. (And, notice all the raving comments and wildly waving national flags which went with the video, although I did notice a number of more sane comments which felt that the song and video were pretty lame.) The recent and present bad music must be a late–Third Turning thing to a large extent (which can apparently hold over into the Fourth Turning) in regards to being obsessed with tawdry self-expression and vulgar self-actualization — with most of the Second Turning quest for a higher aesthetic and idealism stripped out of it. Thanks for sharing! —Best regards, Marc

gerald

Post by gerald »

Comments on music -interesting- however,

Maybe one needs to get a different perspective, and find something -"relaxing"- from elsewhere, like the music of the spheres http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_universalis

Jupiter, NASA Voyager recording

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fqE01Y ... re=related

Marc

Post by Marc »

Cool...it sounds like haunted, celestial church music...it actually would go quite well in many movie soundtracks!

Out of this world, Gerald...thanks for sharing! —Best regards, Marc

gerald

Post by gerald »

Marc:
Thanks -- your comment is greatly appreciated, As strange as it may seem I feel compelled to get certain ideas out. Wish you well..Gerald..

John

Post by John »

I have to say, Gerald, that you really astound me. You're not a
crank. You're a successful businessman, family man, and world
traveler, as far as I can tell. And yet you claim to believe some of
the most outlandish things that you've expressed in the past (though
not so much recently). Astonishing!

John