28-Jun-12 WV-Barclays fined for manipulating markets

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

28-Jun-12 WV-Barclays fined for manipulating markets

Post by John »

28-Jun-12 World View -- Barclays Bank fined $453 million for manipulating markets

Russia may be changing direction on Syria

** 28-Jun-12 World View -- Barclays Bank fined $453 million for manipulating markets
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 28#e120628

Contents:
Merkel and Hollande meet ahead of the new 'save the euro' summit
Barclays Bank fined $453 million for manipulating markets
Barclay CEO Bob Diamond will give up his bonus. Boohoo!
Russia may be changing direction on Syria
Obama better suited than Romney to handle an alien invasion

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Germany, France, Angela Merkel, François Hollande,
Mario Monte, Barclays Bank, Bob Diamond, Russia, Syria,
Bashar al-Assad, Kofi Annan, alien invasion

Trevor

Re: 28-Jun-12 WV-Barclays fined for manipulating markets

Post by Trevor »

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me what they can get away with. They continue to give money to candidates, so they continue to get away with this BS. A question: is there anything at all we can do to at least lessen the severity of what's coming? Yeah, it's going to be terrible no matter what, but is it possible?

Marc

Post by Marc »

Perhaps the best advice to prepare for the day when we largely run out of road to kick the can down is to re-discover the value of neighborliness and community for those who have lapsed on those skills/traits. Yes, having a reasonable supply of necessities tucked away for emergencies can help, too, but I feel that being able to call on neighbors and others in the community if we honestly need their help (and if they need ours) is quite likely the best insurance policy that one can have to prepare for the worst. Just my opinion there — but a good question, Trevor, to ask. —Best regards, Marc

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

Growing is better than hoarding, because hoards run out eventually, or spoil, or are stolen.

There is no reason to think you must "go back to the land" to grow food, a few acres and a small barn for food, plus a space where you can park a camper and plug in is all you really need. Take your vacations at the right times for planting and harvesting, and do the cleaning and weeding on weekends. If you pick the right spot, you don't have to worry about theft much and not many are stealing raw food anyhow. My family raised huge gardens for years that were as much as a mile from the house, and if we ever had anything stolen, we didn't miss it so it could not have been much. A couple dozen tomatoes aren't missed if you are canning 30 quarts every Friday.

It's work, but retirees need something to structure their lives, and this works as well as anything, and it will cut costs.

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/17_ ... ee-429159/

I drop that in as proof that it takes just a few minutes to find fields for sale.

Ok, reason I said "camper", it's not a permanent fixture, thus your taxes do not go up. Also, you can take it with you, so there is no fear of vandalism on something expensive. Tools need to be locked in a SOLID structure that would take considerable work to get into, this especially includes the usual small "cub" type tractors. About tractors, just use a knife to cut a few small nicks in the spark plug wires so you know which one is which, and then reverse them all at the distributor before you leave it. Even if someone does get into your barn, that thing won't start and it takes a good mechanic with a manual time to figure that one out. A hidden valve in the fuel line is good too, thieves don't steal what they think is "junk". Hunter cameras are really good for stopping thieves as well, one fake one in an obvious position means there are others that aren't obvious around the place.

The Barclays fines - hmm, it could be that young investigators are pushing the matter hard. Early millenials are reaching 30ish now. If it makes the boss look good to burn the banks, the banks will be burnt, if it's a GenXer in charge. Or so it would seem to me.