29-Apr-10 News-Desperate Europeans try to save euro

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
thomasglee

Re: 29-Apr-10 News-Desperate Europeans try to save euro

Post by thomasglee »

JLak wrote:This is something of a running gag on GenerationalDynamics.
John wrote: Krugman won the Nobel Prize last year because he had the major qualification that the Nobel committee was looking for: He hated George Bush.
http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... gd.e100125
My apologies. I was thinking, "oh lord, here we go again..."

I'm not an economist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn before and I know right now, whether it's inflation or deflation, we're headed for a world of hurt. Just trying to figure out what to do... buy gold, hoard cash, sell land, keep land, throw my hands up in the air, move overseas or all of the above.... :-)
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

JLak

Post by JLak »

thomasglee wrote: I'm not an economist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn before and I know right now, whether it's inflation or deflation, we're headed for a world of hurt. Just trying to figure out what to do... buy gold, hoard cash, sell land, keep land, throw my hands up in the air, move overseas or all of the above.... :-)
John says you can't really do anything about it except general preparedness. I tend to agree because the political process will determine what sort of disaster happens. I do think it's possible to determine what is going to happen in politics by simply figuring out what is going to give the most money to the people with the most power at the moment, but that's not easy.

Unless you have huge amounts of money to play with, I certainly don't have any answers. You can either spend your life watching and preparing, or just be happy marching along to slaughter. If you plan on getting laid, however, I suggest the lemming approach to life. Seriously, are there any women on this forum? Hello? Anybody? Yeah, that's what I thought; the survivors colony is going to be a swordfight of epic proportions. Darwinian fail.

John

Post by John »

JLak wrote:If you plan on getting laid, however, I suggest the lemming approach to life.
Amen.

John

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

JLak wrote:John says you can't really do anything about it except general preparedness. I tend to agree because the political process will determine what sort of disaster happens. I do think it's possible to determine what is going to happen in politics by simply figuring out what is going to give the most money to the people with the most power at the moment, but that's not easy.
It sure isn't easy. I used to think (and was debating this with a friend last night) that all we had to do was figure out what was going to make the rich get richer and follow that plan. However, I have come to realize 1) what makes the rich get richer is virtually impossible to do any more unless you have HUGE sums of cash. 2) I realize that they don't know what they're doing. I guess it is generational, but I truly wonder if they really understand what they're doing or if they've become delusional. My friend thinks everything is the plan of a cabal working to take over the world and I think it's just a bunch of narcissistic, ego-maniacal, immature frat boys and girls playing in an area they really don't know as much about as they thought they did. They know just enough to cause trouble, but not enough to actually run the world, much less a banking system.
JLak wrote:Unless you have huge amounts of money to play with, I certainly don't have any answers. You can either spend your life watching and preparing, or just be happy marching along to slaughter.
No huge sums of cash here, but a fairly steady cash-flow generating (even in these bad times) business that I continue to maintain knowing it will likely be my lifeline during the downturn to come. I work in the defense industry as an independent contractor (for nearly 20 years now) and in bad economies, business actually tends to increase. It's just hard to build up a large surplus of cash these days, no matter what you do.

I'm preparing a little at a time, but mostly putting my faith in God, myself and the knowledge that no matter what I try right now, I'll probably just end up marching happily along to the slaughter.
JLak wrote:If you plan on getting laid, however, I suggest the lemming approach to life. Seriously, are there any women on this forum? Hello? Anybody? Yeah, that's what I thought; the survivors colony is going to be a swordfight of epic proportions. Darwinian fail.
Been married for 21 plus years now... I gave up on getting laid a long time ago! :-P
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

The Grey Badger

Post by The Grey Badger »

JLak wrote:
thomasglee wrote: I'm not an economist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn before and I know right now, whether it's inflation or deflation, we're headed for a world of hurt. Just trying to figure out what to do... buy gold, hoard cash, sell land, keep land, throw my hands up in the air, move overseas or all of the above.... :-)
John says you can't really do anything about it except general preparedness. I tend to agree because the political process will determine what sort of disaster happens. I do think it's possible to determine what is going to happen in politics by simply figuring out what is going to give the most money to the people with the most power at the moment, but that's not easy.

Unless you have huge amounts of money to play with, I certainly don't have any answers. You can either spend your life watching and preparing, or just be happy marching along to slaughter. If you plan on getting laid, however, I suggest the lemming approach to life. Seriously, are there any women on this forum? Hello? Anybody? Yeah, that's what I thought; the survivors colony is going to be a swordfight of epic proportions. Darwinian fail.
Are there any women on this forum? Well, "ain't I a woman?"

The Grey Badger. Mother of two cubs and 4.5 grandcubs.