1-Sep-10 News -- Amsterdam arrests highlight Yemen confusion

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

Post by John »

** 1-Sep-10 News -- Amsterdam arrests highlight Yemen confusion
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 01#e100901

Contents:
"Web site software problems"
"Yemen confused over America's military intentions"
"Additional links"
Palestinian gunmen attempt to sabotage upcoming peace talks
Concerns grow in Mongolia of China's economic power
Russia-China tensions grow over Russia's mineral-rich Far East
Baghdad residents mourn departure of American troops
India increasingly tense over China's presence in Indian Ocean
Overseas remittances to Vietnam fall by 20%
Moody's rating service is concerned about China's rising debt
ROTC is making a comeback at many élite colleges
Gap widens between rich and poor US consumers
Young people in both Japan and China are developing "character amnesia"
Man-eating giant squid devouring fish stocks

ridgel

Re: 1-Sep-10 News -- Amsterdam arrests highlight Yemen confusion

Post by ridgel »

US consumers are split into two clear and distinct groups. The ones with secure jobs, who are surviving the economic downturn are spending as much as ever, while the ones who war dealing with chronic unemployment have cut back sharply, spending only on the bare necessities.

I saw an article saying it's the same thing with the movies. Overall theater audience numbers are down, but studios are making more money by charging higher ticket prices for 3D.

My grandfather kept his job through the Great Depression. He was in Western Mass, working as a dairy farm hand and milk man, making $25/wk. He served in the Natl Guard during that time as well, and they trained out on Cape Cod. He told me all-in-all that he had it pretty good during that time. Supplying dairy to an established market was a good place to be in the '30s because it was still a very local industry. But I've seen the movies of the guys who built the Hoover, and then the Grand Coulee dams on the West coast. Those guys had it a lot harder - $1 or $2/day for dangerous hot dusty work. So then, just like now, there were some areas that got hit much harder than others. If you're a mortgage broker in Tampa you're hosed. If you're a teacher in a leafy suburb you probably sleep pretty well at night.

thrive

Post by thrive »

China is supposed to be a wealthy nation, but the Moody's ratings agency is expressing concern that China is borrowing a great deal of money (presumably for its stimulus and bailout programs) and going into debt. As I've said, China's economy is in even more trouble than America's economy, and by the Law of Diminishing Returns, the bailout and stimulus programs are less and less effective. Telegraph
What is the source of the money being borrowed? After reading the article I am not clear... And does it matter?

John

Post by John »

thrive wrote: > What is the source of the money being borrowed? After reading the
> article I am not clear... And does it matter?
I should have written that China's banks are borrowing too much money.
And I assume that they're borrowing the money from the government's
central bank.

John