Works by Iannis Xenakis gain wider prominence

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

Works by Iannis Xenakis gain wider prominence

Post by John »

** Works by Iannis Xenakis gain wider prominence and recognition

His opera 'Oresteia' will be performed in Los Angeles in November

** Works by Iannis Xenakis gain wider prominence and recognition
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 12#e100912

Contents:
"Iannis Xenakis's Oresteia to play on November 7 at Calif. Institute of the Arts"
"The Xenakis Project for the Americas"

Jack Edwards

Re: Works by Iannis Xenakis gain wider prominence

Post by Jack Edwards »

One of the reasons I enjoy this site is because I am exposed to ideas and concepts that I don’t normally find in my other daily news readings.

I found the commentary on Iannis Xenaxis interesting and spent a good Sunday afternoon sampling his music on Youtube. I am a musician of sorts and do a little musical composition. I can’t conceive of how he came up with some of that music. He composed for a wide variety of instruments. It was very much outside of the context of what I’m used to listening to – maybe that’s genius – I’m not sure. I would expect few people will be able to relate to it.

There was comment on one of his pieces on Youtube that I found interesting: “I love it and hate it both at the same time”. For myself, I listened in wonder at how he could have put those pieces together – they were chaotic and yet there was strong purpose behind them. Most Western music is based on creating dissonance and then resolving the dissonance. I didn’t hear a lot of resolution of the dissonance – but then, it’s not traditional Western music.

For myself, while I found it interesting and it definitely created a strong emotional response in me – it’s not my thing. I finished up my evening by listening to some Bach solo violin to calm my soul.

In the end though, I’m grateful for this site and how it exposes me to new thoughts and experiences and grateful I’m a little more educated on Iannis Xenakis.

Regards

Jack Edwards