28-Dec-10 News -- Russia's Putin exacts grim revenge

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

28-Dec-10 News -- Russia's Putin exacts grim revenge

Post by John »

28-Dec-10 News -- Russia's Putin exacts grim revenge against wealthy political opponent

Israel won't apologize for Turkish deaths in flotilla raid

** 28-Dec-10 News -- Russia's Putin exacts grim revenge against wealthy political opponent
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 28#e101228

Contents:
"Russia's Putin exacts grim revenge against wealthy political opponent"
"Additional links"
Israel won't apologize for Turkish deaths in flotilla raid
S. Korean president: Fear of war does not prevent war
German grass roots initiative to return to deutsche mark
Trading in pork bellies is disappearing
Iran's missionaries convert Tajiks to Shia Islam

OLD1953

Re: 28-Dec-10 News -- Russia's Putin exacts grim revenge

Post by OLD1953 »

Cronyism declines after a crisis, so I'd assume the business climate in Russia would be much better after WWIII.

Pork bellies may grow in influence again, if they promote lard, which is also largely extracted from the fat on the pork belly. Lard is now recognized as being healthier for you than hydrogenated vegetable shortening, and beside that, it makes a WAY better pie crust.

The coming Sunni/Shia conflict should prove to everyone that the notion of MidEast "unity" never existed in the real world.

And the world continues to prepare for WWIII. The US is reopening rare earth mines in California.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... ining.html

We can expect similar things to follow.

I had told several people here (I work on a military base in Iraq) that the DADT vote would pass with Republicans voting in favor of it. They could not believe it. Of course, it passed and there were many more Republican votes than expected. When they asked me why, I pointed out the military maneuvers by China and Pakistan vis a vis India, Korea vs Korea, tension between Turkey and Greece, Turkey and Israel, Germany and everyone else in Europe that wants German gold with no promise of meaningful payback, etc. And I flatly told them, "The world is preparing for WWIII. WWIII will require boots on the ground, which means a draft. You cannot have a universal draft that excludes homosexuals in a country where the stigma for homosexuality among the young has simply worn away. Every kid getting a draft notice that didn't want to serve would simply get his (or her) best friend, walk to the Selective Service board hand in hand, and state "we are homosexual, you can't draft us", lay a big kiss on each other, take their "get out of the draft free" cards, and walk out. And I'll guarantee exactly that was discussed and the Republicans did a bunch of horse trading as to who could vote for it and whose districts would just not stand for it."

And that's how it is. And doubtless historians will discuss how Obama "knew the war was coming and purposely left the country defenseless", just as they do with Roosevelt.

vincecate

Post by vincecate »

OLD1953 wrote: And I flatly told them, "The world is preparing for WWIII. WWIII will require boots on the ground, which means a draft. You cannot have a universal draft that excludes homosexuals in a country where the stigma for homosexuality among the young has simply worn away. Every kid getting a draft notice that didn't want to serve would simply get his (or her) best friend, walk to the Selective Service board hand in hand, and state "we are homosexual, you can't draft us", lay a big kiss on each other, take their "get out of the draft free" cards, and walk out. And I'll guarantee exactly that was discussed and the Republicans did a bunch of horse trading as to who could vote for it and whose districts would just not stand for it."
Wow. I had not thought of that and that makes all the sense in the world. Yes, I expect that is what is really going on.

Post by guest »

OLD1953 wrote: WWIII will require boots on the ground, which means a draft. You cannot have a universal draft that excludes homosexuals in a country where the stigma for homosexuality among the young has simply worn away.

And that's how it is. And doubtless historians will discuss how Obama "knew the war was coming and purposely left the country defenseless", just as they do with Roosevelt.
It's a classic case of "be careful what you wish for..."

I also see a great volume of lawsuits coming on the premise of "discrimination" due to sexual preferences.
sy

vincecate

Post by vincecate »

guest wrote: It's a classic case of "be careful what you wish for..."
Really. When the draft starts all these people who hoped to "improve things" are going to realize they have been had.

jldavid47

Post by jldavid47 »

Pork belly trading was featured in the 1983 Eddie Murphy movie "Trading Places."
Nope. Frozen Concentrate Orange Juice (FCOJ) futures were the contracts featured in "Trading Places."

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

If it's about getting more bodies for a WWIII, why didn't the DREAM Act pass?
This bill would provide certain illegal and deportable alien students who graduate from US high schools, who are of good moral character, arrived in the U.S. illegally as minors, and have been in the country continuously and illegally for at least five years prior to the bill's enactment, the opportunity to earn conditional permanent residency if they complete two years in the military or two years at a four year institution of higher learning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

I think there could have been a sizable number of young people to join the military if guaranteed permanent residency.

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

Hate to shock you, but a good 1/4 of the military is already made up of Latinos or Asiatic ethnics. At least the ones deploying are. Believe me, I work with them.

Besides that, the DREAM act was just too polarizing, and it would only affect a small number, draft or no, and the assumption would be that many who would be eligible for the draft under the DREAM act would simply go to Mexico and say "we are not US citizens". A draft makes huge changes in the way youth look at military service, it goes from being a possibility to involuntary servitude, and dangerous servitude to boot. The benefit of that draft is that many come back having learned skills in leadership and management that lead to great changes in the country they came from - which is, OFC, part of the GD assumptions about a crisis war.