4-Feb-11 News -- The lull before the storm in Egypt

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

4-Feb-11 News -- The lull before the storm in Egypt

Post by John »

4-Feb-11 News -- The lull before the storm in Egypt as 'Friday of Departure' approaches

Comments from readers on the Muslim Brotherhood

** 4-Feb-11 News -- The lull before the storm in Egypt as 'Friday of Departure' approaches
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 04#e110204

Re: 4-Feb-11 News -- The lull before the storm in Egypt

Post by Guest »

Muslim Brotherhood gained about a fifth of the seats in the 2005 election, that's hardly a landslide repudiation of current policies. And they haven't made a lot of noise about foreign policies that I'm aware of anyhow. Haven't seen any huge numbers chanting "Muslim Brotherhood" either. This seems more a revulsion at one family rule where a small group gets all the goodies, than a Muslim uprising that is demanding a Muslim state.

Kind of amusing to contrast Bush's rhetoric about democracy spreading like a wildfire throughout the MidEast, and the panic that ensues when that really does happen a few years later. It is interesting to contrast the support for the rhetoric with the fear of the reality.

Off this topic a bit, I had to laugh at the reactions to the planned parenthood video "stings" that are ongoing. I cracked up a whole group after the CNN piece was over by saying "uhh, that guy just effectively said that pimps and hookers in the US illegally should have more babies to be US citizens". LOL. But it would be the result of what was proposed, which was blocking access to free birth control information. Some days I wonder, are all our politicians idiots, or do they just only care about that ten second moment on the camera and actually think very differently when they aren't speaking to an audience?

ridgel

Re: 4-Feb-11 News -- The lull before the storm in Egypt

Post by ridgel »

It's amazoing all the attention paid to Egypt. Not sure why anyone cares, except those obsessed with Israel. Egypt could change governments every six months for the next five years and it would have no material affect on my life or the life of anyone I know.

On the other hand, the wholesale capitulation of American industry to Chinese interests affects every American every day. But don't expect the news media to pay any attention to that or try to defend America's interests - since there's a small sliver at the top making money off it.