8-Feb-11 News - Bangladesh riots over new stock market crash

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

8-Feb-11 News - Bangladesh riots over new stock market crash

Post by John »

8-Feb-11 News -- Bangladesh riots over stock market crash and food inflation

Japan furious over Russian president Medvedev's visit to disputed islands

** 8-Feb-11 News -- Bangladesh riots over stock market crash and food inflation
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 08#e110208

Contents:
"Bangladesh riots over stock market crash and food inflation"
"Cairo stock exchange remains closed as banks reopen in Egypt"
"'Emerging markets' losing their popularity"
"Additional links"
Japan furious over Russian president Medvedev's visit to disputed islands
China suffers worst drought in 60 years
The fastest growing demographic at US divinity schools are Boomers
Thai college girl uniforms are sexiest in the world

OLD1953

Re: 8-Feb-11 News - Bangladesh riots over new stock market c

Post by OLD1953 »

I suppose its crazy time in the world now. How do riots act to do anything but possibly close the exchanges? How does that help someone who wants their money out?

China has more problems than drought, they've lost a lot of cropland by building over it. They don't have a cushion for drought any more. And more or less permanent (on generational scales) weather pattern shifts will cause more drought in China and Russia.

H.R. 25 is the "Fair Tax" proposal. If passed as written, it would be the biggest single shift of taxation down to the middle class since 1914 or so, and there have certainly been some major shifts in that direction over time. (If adjusted for inflation, the original personal deduction for income tax was about 60K in our money. Yes, it's shifted downhill a lot since then.) There is a noticable and rapidly growing trend in the circles I move in to retire outside the USA. I suspect middle class flight would be a HUGE problem if that mess passed. We've already got "don't cross the border" protectionism for drugs, I think it will rapidly be extended to everything and huge imposts be required if bringing in anything at all, if that bill passed - it's the logical next step. Thankfully, it has no chance for now. Crazy times indeed. You have to wonder just what Mike Huckabee is thinking.