30-Mar-11 News -- A Palestinian state in the United Nations?

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

30-Mar-11 News -- A Palestinian state in the United Nations?

Post by John »

30-Mar-11 News -- A Palestinian state in the United Nations by September?

Palestinian factions Fatah and Hamas consider reconciliation

** 30-Mar-11 News -- A Palestinian state in the United Nations by September?
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 30#e110330

OLD1953

Re: 30-Mar-11 News -- A Palestinian state in the United Nati

Post by OLD1953 »

Some days I wonder how historians manage to decide what "starts" a war, do they flip a coin in some cases or what? Israel and Palestine have been fighting for decades, the conflict has never stopped but merely slowed for some periods and then reengaged with new energy after they've rested up and recuperated for a time. Doubtless, if this plan goes through, they'll say the UN started the war by recognizing Palestine as a state. Which is peculiar logic, if Israel is recognized by the UN as existing, and Palestine is recognized as existing, how does that start a war? I suppose they have to record something as the trigger event.

It's also odd just what people can adapt to and how they reach a point where the adaptation to stress becomes a new normal. If the types of attacks and incursions that are routine between Israel and Palestine or between North and South Korea occured between two countries that have been at peace for a long period, the US and Canada or Ecuador and Venezuela, the reaction would lead quickly to war in almost every case, they wouldn't have adapted to that level of fighting and would not consider it "normal", they would consider themselves at war.

I missed this one when it first was reported a few weeks ago, it's apparently signaling a major shift in policy in South America:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/01/ ... MD20100129