29-Sep-11 World View -- Gaddafi under protection of Tuareg?

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

29-Sep-11 World View -- Gaddafi under protection of Tuareg?

Post by John »

29-Sep-11 World View -- Gaddafi suspected to be under protection of Tuareg tribe

European Commission's Barroso proposes tax on financial transactions

** 29-Sep-11 World View -- Gaddafi suspected to be under protection of Tuareg tribe
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 29#e110929

Contents:
### World View - Gaddafi suspected to be under protection of Tuareg tribe
European Commission's Barroso proposes tax on financial transactions
Violence against Roma Gypsies grows in Czech Republic
Gaddafi suspected to be under protection of Tuareg tribe
Russia's Putin warns against overuse of foreign words

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, José Manuel Barroso, European Commission,
Roma Gypsies, Workers' Party for Social Justice, Czech Republic,
Libya, Tuareg, Muammar Gaddafi, Ghadamis, Vladimir Putin

OLD1953

Re: 29-Sep-11 World View -- Gaddafi under protection of Tuar

Post by OLD1953 »

It's not often I think of these updates as funny, but this one made the cut.

Any tax on financial transactions (IOW, loans) would be paid by the person or company taking the loan. Yeah, that's going to be really popular next time someone buys anything and takes out a loan on it. Would this also apply to individual credit card transactions? Either this will be the most unpopular tax of all time, or it will have so many exceptions nobody will pay it. LOL.

Gaddafi hiding inside Libya? That's far fetched indeed. Hiding in Yemen or some other place where he's plotting, I can believe that, but hiding where he can easily be turned in for a reward? I really don't think he's that stupid. This sounds like sightings of Elvis to me.

Warning against overuse of foreign words in Russian is hilarious, if you know anything about the Russian language. Russian is essentially 90% loan words from other languages, it's worse than English as far as such things go. Khrushchev spoke Russian badly, and had a Georgian accent that was generally described as horrible.

The gypsy persecution is just sad. It's like the oft heard claims by radical rightists in the US that Europe has to be just written off, that Muslims have invaded and already won. Um, setting aside Turkey, the total population of Muslims in the EU in 2009 was supposed to be about 13 million. The Roma are far less as a percentage, everywhere but Romania. This is just severe xenophobia, nothing else.

A disturbing trend world wide is the rise of parties and groups dedicated to the idea of "everything for free, and no taxation at all". That's irrationality taken to the extreme, and it's a horrible sign of things to come. Riots in Greece, the US and the UK have all had interviews with people proclaiming this new gospel.