Generational Dynamics
Fourth Turning Forum Archive


Popular links:
Generational Dynamics Web Site
Generational Dynamics Forum
Fourth Turning Archive home page
New Fourth Turning Forum

Thread: Obama's Less Than Brilliant Moments - Page 15







Post#351 at 02-27-2013 09:22 PM by Copperfield [at joined Feb 2010 #posts 2,244]
---
02-27-2013, 09:22 PM #351
Join Date
Feb 2010
Posts
2,244

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
Bragging? I don't think you know what that word means, dufus.
It means this which is exactly what you were doing when I stated, "I dare say from the sound of it, I probably put more rounds through my revolver(s) in a weekend than you have fired out of every gun you have touched over your entire life" and you responded with, "You dumb ass, I've been in combat and I've been hunting since I was 7 or 8 years old."

Of course I still see no reason to believe that I don't shoot more in a weekend than you have in your entire life. Even if we were to assume your story about your alleged combat experience is true, being in combat doesn't mean you ever fired your rifle (going hunting doesn't either for that matter). This is why I articulated the concept of myself going out and doing actual shooting which is to say the practice of loading the firearm, shooting the firearm, reloading the firearm and shooting some more.

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
You're the one who started this experience issue by butting into a conversation between me and another poster to suggest I didn't. Knowing how funny your assertion just further confirms how much of a complete idiot you must be.
You do understand that this is a public forum right? I know it can be difficult for you older fellows to grasp new concepts in our digital age, so allow me to explain. Public forums (like this one) are designed to be... Well, public forums; a place where many people can discuss a given topic or topics and allow others to chime in as they will. "Butting in" is an implied behavior in those mediums. If what you really wanted was a private conversation with Justin then I would suggest one of the many private methods of correspondence such as email or this forum's Private Messaging function (they even put the word private in the name which should have made it easy for you to understand). Hell, Justin even generously provides his ICQ number (that's some old school shit right there) in his contact information should you want to speak with him via an instant message session.

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
You don't even see your own cognitive dissonance in your post above regarding falsification (falsifiability??? what's that?).
Again, I know it can be difficult for you older fellows to grasp new concepts in our digital age. Just so you know, they make these things called dictionaries and in those dictionaries you can look up words that you don't know the meanings of. Pretty high tech, I know.

Now, as to how personal experience relates directly to the topic at hand (firearms and their use), in the internet usage it is pretty irrelevant. This is why I go through great lengths to speak in terms of knowledge (facts and information) rather than experiences (questionable). Again my expertise and knowledge with firearms speaks for itself. The experiences that lead to that level of knowledge are irrelevant. So when we see that your general knowledge of firearms is pretty poor, it leads one to question your statements suggesting you learned what you know about guns from combat and hunting. Since my knowledge of firearms is superior to yours, my claims are far less questionable. In other words, while you can always question my claims you can't question what I know (the facts that I present). Indeed, should you find errors in what I present I encourage you to challenge them. While I have often been accused of having an encyclopedia for a brain, I have never claimed to be completely infallible.

I also find it interesting that the nature of some of your claims along with your behavior have resulted in multiple people believing that your claims of alleged combat experience are dubious and yet you believe they are the ones with the problem.

Put more succintly, I say your claim of combat experience is bullshit and you have done nothing to lead me to believe it is anything other than bullshit and I will continue to mock any of your statements to the contrary. I am comfortable with this equilibrium if you are.

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
The issue has become credentials.

For you, a video of your reloading and firing a revolver with 33 cartridges, all in your hands, will establish yours' ... or not. I'm still waiting.

Once we demolish your credibility, then I'll move on to Coop.

I'm sure he sees himself as Da Man -

....

But dollars to donuts, I bet Coop can't keep up with this guy's cycle (hopefully he can outrun him) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC9Lahi-TqQ

- whch, from my observations, is actually on the high side of what is typical (like the guy says NOT movie bullshit).

Coop has to first establish his identity ( as noted above; I'm still waiting for Glick to do this so I'm not holding my breath) and then we'll check his IPSC scores. If he doesn't have a score (which would raise some doubts), then we'll let him do a video of his speedloading prowess - it should be very entertaining, well, as long as he promises to keeps his tiny schlong out of it.
Ah here we have you (how does Justin put it?) arguing with yourself. See, Jerry Miculek being able to say that he "holds the world record" by definition means he does this particular thing the best, longest, fastest, etc. Of course no one here suggested otherwise nor did anyone suggest that it would take Jerry Miculek type speed to kill an arbitrary threshold of cowering children.

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
In that regard, the example of the last mass killing by a revolver(s) (Rio de Janeiro) is germane in that there apparently was time for the targets in that classroom to escape, leaving the shooter with having to spend time hunting down further targets – unsuccessfully and eventually resulting in his being cornered and killed in the stairway.
Actually there is a more important reason for this discrepancy that you failed to notice or grasp. In the United States, we train people to hunker down and wait for the police or even to try and overpower the killer with scissors and/or office equipment. If we look at the various articles on the Newtown shooting we see exactly this behavior. For instance, young Brendan "had to go in the closet in the gym". Yvonne Cech "hid herself, assistant and 18 fourth graders in a closet behind file cabinets". We also see that "Most teachers kept their children frozen in hiding".

Hell just check the wiki. Line by line descriptions of teachers hiding students. One can even contrast this behavior with the 6 surviving children from Miss Soto's classroom after she was killed. Absent an authority telling them otherwise, instinct kicked in and the 6 students fled the classroom and made it all the way to a nearby neighbor's house.

While I am not certain, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that Brazil's government doesn't dole out nearly as much hunker down, pray and wait for the SWAT team bad advice that our fine folks at DHS do.

Generally speaking it won't be long until one of these killers figures out that teachers tend to pile kids into a small, inescapable room, all according to plan. Once that happens the killers will be picking a new tool for the job.
Last edited by Copperfield; 02-27-2013 at 10:58 PM.







Post#352 at 02-27-2013 10:00 PM by Kepi [at Northern, VA joined Nov 2012 #posts 3,664]
---
02-27-2013, 10:00 PM #352
Join Date
Nov 2012
Location
Northern, VA
Posts
3,664

Quote Originally Posted by Copperfield View Post
*In the United States we train people to hunker down and wait for the police...
Not only that, but we do not let paramedics into a place until police have mitigated the threat. For really small departments, this is a good idea, but for departments that have their own SWAT teams that can secure areas to allow for a protected, quick response for emergency medical care, I don't see why we're not doing just that. Yes, in most circumstances that's a pointless risk, but in a scenario where you're talking about having between 50 and 60 victims, it can be the difference between 5 dead and 30.

Mass shootings exploit particular and obvious weaknesses in our system, and we should be moving to close them, which we are not. Clearly our methodology in dealing with these cases is wrong, and it's costing us lives while we wait to make this situation like all the other situations public safety services deal with every day. Unfortunately, it can't be, because it costs lives.







Post#353 at 02-28-2013 10:08 AM by Justin '77 [at Meh. joined Sep 2001 #posts 12,182]
---
02-28-2013, 10:08 AM #353
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
Meh.
Posts
12,182

Quote Originally Posted by Kepi View Post
Not only that, but we do not let paramedics into a place until police have mitigated the threat.
Well bless your heart (). You actually think police 'mitigate the threat'?

Point to a single instance of that in the last two decades. Nope; police in the USA are all about "Officer Safety"*. That, above all else. That's why mass shootings in this country are ended exclusively by either armed non-policemen, or by ", self".


----

*This, from a profession that doesn't even come close to making the top-20 of dangerous jobs.
"Qu'est-ce que c'est que cela, la loi ? On peut donc être dehors. Je ne comprends pas. Quant à moi, suis-je dans la loi ? suis-je hors la loi ? Je n'en sais rien. Mourir de faim, est-ce être dans la loi ?" -- Tellmarch

"Человек не может снять с себя ответственности за свои поступки." - L. Tolstoy

"[it]
is no doubt obvious, the cult of the experts is both self-serving, for those who propound it, and fraudulent." - Noam Chomsky







Post#354 at 02-28-2013 11:39 AM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
02-28-2013, 11:39 AM #354
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by Copperfield View Post
blah, balh, blah...

Of course I still see no reason to believe that I don't shoot more in a weekend than you have in your entire life....

blah blah, blah
This is a boastful credential check ... and it is what you first brought to the discussion.

You're obviously incapable of recognizing either your cognitive dissonance or your outright hypocrisy.

With Justin, I at least see the potential for an intelligent disagreement (its happened before) once and if we get through his knee-jerk belief system’s auto-defense mechanism. One key issue is do we assume his fish-in-the-barrel paradigm (and I grant that you have touched on it). The other key issue is do we ignore the psychology of the 'god mode' that I believe comes part-and-parcel with most semi handgun purchases. Justin is at the threshold of willing to talk about the former although he curiously hasn't responded at all to the latter. There's potential with him.

You, on the other hand, are either lost in your cognitive dissonance or hide behind your hypocrisy - in one case your basically too stupid; in the other, too much of a coward.
Last edited by playwrite; 02-28-2013 at 11:41 AM.
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

“It’s not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed … so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. It’s much more akin to printing money.” - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#355 at 02-28-2013 11:53 AM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
02-28-2013, 11:53 AM #355
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

tick, tick, tick...

Boys, I'm still waiting for that 100 rounds, at 3-20 second avg, on a revolver. I'll give you the barn door target but want to see the pattern; dirt shots don't count (that includes any in your leg).

By the way, Copperhead, I got the resources to check for trick photography - you're gonna have to spend a lot of money if your gonna try that approach.

Like I said, post up or shut up.
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

“It’s not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed … so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. It’s much more akin to printing money.” - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#356 at 02-28-2013 01:14 PM by Copperfield [at joined Feb 2010 #posts 2,244]
---
02-28-2013, 01:14 PM #356
Join Date
Feb 2010
Posts
2,244

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
This is a boastful credential check ... and it is what you first brought to the discussion.

You're obviously incapable of recognizing either your cognitive dissonance or your outright hypocrisy.

With Justin, I at least see the potential for an intelligent disagreement (its happened before) once and if we get through his knee-jerk belief system’s auto-defense mechanism. One key issue is do we assume his fish-in-the-barrel paradigm (and I grant that you have touched on it). The other key issue is do we ignore the psychology of the 'god mode' that I believe comes part-and-parcel with most semi handgun purchases. Justin is at the threshold of willing to talk about the former although he curiously hasn't responded at all to the latter. There's potential with him.

You, on the other hand, are either lost in your cognitive dissonance or hide behind your hypocrisy - in one case your basically too stupid; in the other, too much of a coward.
I never said it wasn't boastful but then you are once again arguing with yourself. If both of us are boastful, yet I demonstrate a deeper and better-rounded knowledge of firearms, firearm history and firearm law than you do, then whose boasts are more suspect? I'll leave you to your own devices to figure that one out (I suspect you already have given all of your flashing lights and distracting sounds).

Once again, my level of knowledge speaks for itself. You may or may not believe my boasts. Others can clearly see the differences between our respective knowledge bases and make their own determinations.







Post#357 at 02-28-2013 01:29 PM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM #357
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by Copperfield View Post
I never said it wasn't boastful but then you are once again arguing with yourself. If both of us are boastful, yet I demonstrate a deeper and better-rounded knowledge of firearms, firearm history and firearm law than you do, then whose boasts are more suspect? I'll leave you to your own devices to figure that one out (I suspect you already have given all of your flashing lights and distracting sounds).

Once again, my level of knowledge speaks for itself. You may or may not believe my boasts. Others can clearly see the differences between our respective knowledge bases and make their own determinations.
yea, yea, we know, and you got an enormous schlong as well. Aren't you just a dandy.

Still waiting for the video of you shooting yourself in the leg. Please don't post any schlong videos - whether yours or of the one you dream about.

p.s. at least we now know you weren't being a hypocrite; just your brain stem's inability to see its own cognitive dissonance - 'I'm an expert but nobody can prove that on a chat room'

Maybe you and Glick should get a room and compare notes on schlong size?
Last edited by playwrite; 02-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

“It’s not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed … so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. It’s much more akin to printing money.” - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#358 at 02-28-2013 02:47 PM by Justin '77 [at Meh. joined Sep 2001 #posts 12,182]
---
02-28-2013, 02:47 PM #358
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
Meh.
Posts
12,182

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
Boys, I'm still waiting for that 100 rounds, at 3-20 second avg, on a revolver. I'll give you the barn door target but want to see the pattern; dirt shots don't count (that includes any in your leg).
Hmm.. Old man hooting and jumping up and down demanding that his wrong-on-their-face claims be proven wrong. To him. In exactly the way he will accept.

It's good the old man likes jumping and hooting for its own sake. The exercise benefits are all such behavior merits.
"Qu'est-ce que c'est que cela, la loi ? On peut donc être dehors. Je ne comprends pas. Quant à moi, suis-je dans la loi ? suis-je hors la loi ? Je n'en sais rien. Mourir de faim, est-ce être dans la loi ?" -- Tellmarch

"Человек не может снять с себя ответственности за свои поступки." - L. Tolstoy

"[it]
is no doubt obvious, the cult of the experts is both self-serving, for those who propound it, and fraudulent." - Noam Chomsky







Post#359 at 02-28-2013 03:50 PM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
02-28-2013, 03:50 PM #359
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by Justin '77 View Post
Hmm.. Old man hooting and jumping up and down demanding that his wrong-on-their-face claims be proven wrong. To him. In exactly the way he will accept.

It's good the old man likes jumping and hooting for its own sake. The exercise benefits are all such behavior merits.
Whusing out again. How typical.

The last 4T, they got the Lost. We got you guys.
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

“It’s not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed … so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. It’s much more akin to printing money.” - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#360 at 02-28-2013 03:57 PM by Justin '77 [at Meh. joined Sep 2001 #posts 12,182]
---
02-28-2013, 03:57 PM #360
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
Meh.
Posts
12,182

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
Wussing out again. How typical.
A-a-a-and back to the dick-waving.
"Qu'est-ce que c'est que cela, la loi ? On peut donc être dehors. Je ne comprends pas. Quant à moi, suis-je dans la loi ? suis-je hors la loi ? Je n'en sais rien. Mourir de faim, est-ce être dans la loi ?" -- Tellmarch

"Человек не может снять с себя ответственности за свои поступки." - L. Tolstoy

"[it]
is no doubt obvious, the cult of the experts is both self-serving, for those who propound it, and fraudulent." - Noam Chomsky







Post#361 at 02-28-2013 05:13 PM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM #361
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by Justin '77 View Post
A-a-a-and back to the dick-waving.
What is it with you, Copperhead and Glick and this fixation on schlongs???

Some sort of weird affinity thingee going on. Just don't post any videos on it - there's Millies about, if not even a few Homelanders.

However, I'm still waiting for your videos of shooting yourselves in the leg a few times.
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

“It’s not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed … so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. It’s much more akin to printing money.” - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#362 at 03-01-2013 12:53 AM by princeofcats67 [at joined Jan 2010 #posts 1,995]
---
03-01-2013, 12:53 AM #362
Join Date
Jan 2010
Posts
1,995

Quote Originally Posted by Copperfield View Post
Oh I almost forgot this.

Good film!

You being a weapons expert and all, I am sure that you will able to spot and explain all three of the errors in that scene. I'll give you a cookie if you can.
Three errors? Ok. I'll give it a shot.
[Note: Copper, I know very little i/r/t firearms(as will become painfully obvious!)].
So, please forgive my lack of correct terminolgy.

Ok. The pistol that Harry is using is a revolver. He pulls back the hammer, but when he pulls the trigger,
the "round-thingy!" turns. I would think that wouldn't occur in that mode of operation.

I don't know enough to see anything else other than stuff like:

The shotgun mysteriously moves closer to the the dude's hand!

Maybe it has something to do with the handgun not being a .44 Magnum,
that the .44 wasn't the most powerful handgun at the time, or maybe that
a .44 wouldn't actually blow someone's head clean-off?

Well, that's the best I can do.
Maybe you'd be so kind as to let me know the errors that you see.


Prince

PS: C'mon Copper. "I gots to know"!
I Am A Child of God/Nature/The Universe
I Think Globally and Act Individually(and possibly, voluntarily join-together with Others)
I Pray for World Peace & I Choose Less-Just Say: "NO!, Thank You."







Post#363 at 03-01-2013 01:20 AM by Copperfield [at joined Feb 2010 #posts 2,244]
---
03-01-2013, 01:20 AM #363
Join Date
Feb 2010
Posts
2,244

Quote Originally Posted by princeofcats67 View Post
Three errors? Ok. I'll give it a shot.
[Note: Copper, I know very little i/r/t firearms(as will become painfully obvious!)].
So, please forgive my lack of correct terminolgy.

Ok. The pistol that Harry is using is a revolver. He pulls back the hammer, but when he pulls the trigger,
the "round-thingy!" turns. I would think that wouldn't occur in that mode of operation.

I don't know enough to see anything else other than stuff like:

The shotgun mysteriously moves closer to the the dude's hand!

Maybe it has something to do with the handgun not being a .44 Magnum,
that the .44 wasn't the most powerful handgun at the time, or maybe that
a .44 wouldn't actually blow someone's head clean-off?

Well, that's the best I can do.
Maybe you'd be so kind as to let me know the errors that you see.


Prince

PS: C'mon Copper. "I gots to know"!
Congratulations, you got all three. You officially know more about firearms than Clown Shoes!

1) The shotgun moves.

2) Harry pulls the hammer back, which on a revolver rotates the cylinder and sets the gun to single-action (a very light trigger pull). In the next cut he pulls the trigger, however the cylinder rotates again indicating that the hammer is no longer cocked.

3) At the time the film takes place the .44 magnum was not the most powerful handgun in the world. In the early 70's that would have been the .454 Casull. There is a caveat to this however. At the time the .454 Casull was a "wildcat" or custom cartridge (usually hand loaded) and was not in mass production yet. To be accurate, Harry would have had to say that the .44 Magnum was the most powerful production model handgun and cartridge in the world (which would clearly not have added as much to his character).







Post#364 at 03-01-2013 09:22 AM by princeofcats67 [at joined Jan 2010 #posts 1,995]
---
03-01-2013, 09:22 AM #364
Join Date
Jan 2010
Posts
1,995

Quote Originally Posted by Copper
2) Harry pulls the hammer back, which on a revolver rotates the cylinder and sets the gun to single-action (a very light trigger pull). In the next cut he pulls the trigger, however the cylinder rotates again indicating that the hammer is no longer cocked.
Ah, the "cylinder"(aka the "round-thingy"!). I could not think of the name of that damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Copper
3) At the time the film takes place the .44 magnum was not the most powerful handgun in the world. In the early 70's that would have been the .454 Casull. There is a caveat to this however. At the time the .454 Casull was a "wildcat" or custom cartridge (usually hand loaded) and was not in mass production yet. To be accurate, Harry would have had to say that the .44 Magnum was the most powerful production model handgun and cartridge in the world (which would clearly not have added as much to his character).
One time a friend brought his S&W .44 to the range and he had some homemade cartridges
with extra powder. I swear it was like shooting a freaking canon!(flame and slight powder burn).
The recoil(if that's the correct term) was pretty severe(ie: I wasn't used to it, or ready for it,
for that matter). It's a pretty heavy handgun compared to a .22 or a 9mm(which is what
I'm used to). Needless to say, I completely missed the target on that first shot! Seriously.


Prince

PS:
Quote Originally Posted by Copperfield View Post
Congratulations, you got all three. You officially know more about firearms than Clown Shoes!
Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I believe I know enough to know
who's losing the argument between You & Justin and Playdude!
(and more importantly, who I'd want by my side if things get "dodgy").
Last edited by princeofcats67; 03-02-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
I Am A Child of God/Nature/The Universe
I Think Globally and Act Individually(and possibly, voluntarily join-together with Others)
I Pray for World Peace & I Choose Less-Just Say: "NO!, Thank You."







Post#365 at 03-01-2013 09:35 AM by '58 Flat [at Hardhat From Central Jersey joined Jul 2001 #posts 3,300]
---
03-01-2013, 09:35 AM #365
Join Date
Jul 2001
Location
Hardhat From Central Jersey
Posts
3,300

But Lindsey Graham did have a point: Why not prosecute those who fail background checks for attempted illegal possession of a weapon? Or even perjury, if the process includes the applicant certifying "under penalty of perjury" that the statement that (s)he hasn't been convicted of a felony etc. is "true and correct" (not sure if it does since I've never gone through the process myself).

Probably because many liberals - including, most notably, Melissa Harris-Perry - wouldn't like who would get prosecuted if Graham does get his wish.
But maybe if the putative Robin Hoods stopped trying to take from law-abiding citizens and give to criminals, take from men and give to women, take from believers and give to anti-believers, take from citizens and give to "undocumented" immigrants, and take from heterosexuals and give to homosexuals, they might have a lot more success in taking from the rich and giving to everyone else.

Don't blame me - I'm a Baby Buster!







Post#366 at 03-01-2013 12:18 PM by Copperfield [at joined Feb 2010 #posts 2,244]
---
03-01-2013, 12:18 PM #366
Join Date
Feb 2010
Posts
2,244

Quote Originally Posted by princeofcats67 View Post
One time a friend brought his S&W .44 to the range and he had some homemade cartridges
with extra powder. I swear it was like shooting a freaking canon!(flame and slight powder burn).
The recoil(if that's the correct term) was pretty severe(ie: I wasn't used to it, or ready for it,
for that matter). It's a pretty heavy handgun compared to a .22s or a 9mm(which is what
I'm used to). Needless to say, I completely missed to target on that first shot! Seriously.


Prince
That's actually how the .44 magnum cartridge came about. The .44 special had been around since the early 1900's. Several avid sportsmen (most notably Elmer Keith) began experimenting with the .44 special by using longer casing and pushing the powder charges past safe limits. Heavier revolvers with thicker cylinders were favored as the charges being used were sometimes causing ruptures in weaker-built firearms. The eventual result was the .44 magnum, a handgun capable of hitting out past 200 yards.

Harry Callahan's single line in Dirty Harry did wonders for the .44 magnum as folks went out and purchased suddenly popular S&W model 29's only to realize that shooting one stings like hell.

My S&W model 629 is the great-great-great-great-great grand model of those old 29's.

Usually I find that people who shoot a .44 magnum for the first time hit the bull’s-eye then start missing wildly because they start to fear the recoil. That actually takes a lot of training to overcome and learn not to fight it. You really have to want to spend time on it to become proficient. It is scary-accurate once you do; far more than any other handgun I have fired (and better than some rifles).







Post#367 at 03-01-2013 01:17 PM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
03-01-2013, 01:17 PM #367
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by princeofcats67 View Post
Ah, the "cylinder"(aka the "round-thingy"!). I could not think of the name of that damn thing.



One time a friend brought his S&W .44 to the range and he had some homemade cartridges
with extra powder. I swear it was like shooting a freaking canon!(flame and slight powder burn).
The recoil(if that's the correct term) was pretty severe(ie: I wasn't used to it, or ready for it,
for that matter). It's a pretty heavy handgun compared to a .22s or a 9mm(which is what
I'm used to). Needless to say, I completely missed to target on that first shot! Seriously.


Prince

PS:


Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I believe I know enough to know
who's losing the argument between You & Justin and Playdude!
(and more importantly, who I'd want by my side if things get "dodgy").
So you've decided to join the SFC (schlong fixation club).

Not much of a surprise.

Have they revealed the initiation rites you will be subjected to yet?
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

“It’s not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed … so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. It’s much more akin to printing money.” - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#368 at 03-01-2013 01:29 PM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
03-01-2013, 01:29 PM #368
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by Copperfield View Post
That's actually how the .44 magnum cartridge came about. The .44 special had been around since the early 1900's. Several avid sportsmen (most notably Elmer Keith) began experimenting with the .44 special by using longer casing and pushing the powder charges past safe limits. Heavier revolvers with thicker cylinders were favored as the charges being used were sometimes causing ruptures in weaker-built firearms. The eventual result was the .44 magnum, a handgun capable of hitting out past 200 yards.

Harry Callahan's single line in Dirty Harry did wonders for the .44 magnum as folks went out and purchased suddenly popular S&W model 29's only to realize that shooting one stings like hell.

My S&W model 629 is the great-great-great-great-great grand model of those old 29's.

Usually I find that people who shoot a .44 magnum for the first time hit the bull’s-eye then start missing wildly because they start to fear the recoil. That actually takes a lot of training to overcome and learn not to fight it. You really have to want to spend time on it to become proficient. It is scary-accurate once you do; far more than any other handgun I have fired (and better than some rifles).
Amazing what a little Googling can do to make someone appear knowledgeable, particularly to affinity worshipers like princeofcats.

I would love to see you use the magnum in that video you and Justin are working on. You know, the one that will actually show your prowess (or not) as well as actually prove (or not) Justin's theory.

A leg shot with one of those babies would make your film pretty darn dramatic! Some folks believe the 2-min femoral bleed-out is a myth. Others believe the major bone shattering causing fragments to enter the heart or brain resulting in death is a myth. But what the hey, give it a shot - it could get a lot of hits on Youtube!

I'm still waiting.
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

“It’s not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed … so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. It’s much more akin to printing money.” - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#369 at 03-01-2013 02:35 PM by Seattleblue [at joined Aug 2009 #posts 562]
---
03-01-2013, 02:35 PM #369
Join Date
Aug 2009
Posts
562

"Playwrite" is a wholly-created internet personality that doesn't exist in the real world. But I suppose beating up on a training dummy can sharpen your claws for other things.







Post#370 at 03-01-2013 02:48 PM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
03-01-2013, 02:48 PM #370
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleblue View Post
"Playwrite" is a wholly-created internet personality that doesn't exist in the real world. But I suppose beating up on a training dummy can sharpen your claws for other things.
Whatever this "wholly-created internet personality" may or may not be, it has clearly been shown capable of handily demonstrating the moronic thought processing that passes as 'thinking' by those here lost in various false mythologies of the Right.

I'm okay with that.
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

“It’s not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed … so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. It’s much more akin to printing money.” - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#371 at 03-01-2013 05:52 PM by Eric the Green [at San Jose CA joined Jul 2001 #posts 22,504]
---
03-01-2013, 05:52 PM #371
Join Date
Jul 2001
Location
San Jose CA
Posts
22,504

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
Whatever this "wholly-created internet personality" may or may not be, it has clearly been shown capable of handily demonstrating the moronic thought processing that passes as 'thinking' by those here lost in various false mythologies of the Right.
And that's not too terribly difficult. Keep writing, playwrite! All the Gen X right-wingers here can do is fuss and fume.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive,

Eric A. Meece







Post#372 at 03-01-2013 05:55 PM by Eric the Green [at San Jose CA joined Jul 2001 #posts 22,504]
---
03-01-2013, 05:55 PM #372
Join Date
Jul 2001
Location
San Jose CA
Posts
22,504

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
However, I'm still waiting for your videos of shooting yourselves in the leg a few times.
We don't have to wait too long; we can watch them shoot themselves in the foot with their posts here. Or is that, putting their feet in their mouth?
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive,

Eric A. Meece







Post#373 at 03-02-2013 03:44 AM by princeofcats67 [at joined Jan 2010 #posts 1,995]
---
03-02-2013, 03:44 AM #373
Join Date
Jan 2010
Posts
1,995

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
So you've decided to join the SFC (schlong fixation club).

Not much of a surprise.
Tsk-tsk. So now, because I have implied publicly that I recognize who I believe
is "losing the argument", I have joined some mythical club* that you've created?
Talk about "no suprise"!

You see Mr. Playwrite, IMO, you don't even know what you're arguing about anymore.
Justin(and Copper) have dismantled your assertion quite thoroughly, IMO.
And I'm certainly not going to alert you to it because I don't want to spoil the fun!
(and it is sort of fun watching you weasel!!).
[Note: BTW, I already learned enough about your lack of knowledge(and logic skills), and
general debating/arguing-MO when we were discussing your understanding of the MMT-POV].

So, what next? Are you going to say that I'm expressing a
"psychology of a cult"*; Or will it be that "affinity thing"*?

ETA:
Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
Amazing what a little Googling can do to make someone appear knowledgeable, particularly to affinity worshipers like princeofcats.
LMAO! And there it is!
(and only one post later!)


Prince

Quote Originally Posted by P-Whipped!
Have they revealed the initiation rites you will be subjected to yet?
Well, since I didn't know I was auditioning for the mythical club*, I really can't say.
But, if what you say is indeed true, I believe they would be occuring as we speak!



------------------
*some of your imaginary friends
Last edited by princeofcats67; 03-02-2013 at 03:50 AM. Reason: This is too freaking easy!
I Am A Child of God/Nature/The Universe
I Think Globally and Act Individually(and possibly, voluntarily join-together with Others)
I Pray for World Peace & I Choose Less-Just Say: "NO!, Thank You."







Post#374 at 03-02-2013 04:00 AM by Ragnarök_62 [at Oklahoma joined Nov 2006 #posts 5,511]
---
03-02-2013, 04:00 AM #374
Join Date
Nov 2006
Location
Oklahoma
Posts
5,511

Quote Originally Posted by princeofcats67 View Post

I dub the above image as the official mascot of this tomcat-fight thread.
Over and out. And I mean out, as in out of here. Adios/bye/Har det bra/.
MBTI step II type : Expressive INTP

There's an annual contest at Bond University, Australia, calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term:
The winning student wrote:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."







Post#375 at 03-02-2013 04:48 AM by princeofcats67 [at joined Jan 2010 #posts 1,995]
---
03-02-2013, 04:48 AM #375
Join Date
Jan 2010
Posts
1,995

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleblue View Post
"Playwrite" is a wholly-created internet personality that doesn't exist in the real world. But I suppose beating up on a training dummy can sharpen your claws for other things.
Could be, SB. But PW also could be your basic run-of-the-mill
quasi-"macro-economist/political-hack"-"wannabe/sycophant".
(IME, they're like a dime-a dozen on the internet(or at least on this MB).

Quote Originally Posted by The Rani View Post
I had the same experience, minus the problem with hitting the target.
Thanks alot for adding that, Rani.
That sobbing sound you may be hearing
is from what's left of my masculinity!

Quote Originally Posted by Rani
The recoil kept jamming the damned gun. Now I know why Sarah Connor had to get pumped up in Terminator 2.
You see, I'm so clueless i/r/t handguns, I don't even know what that means!
(Linda Hamilton=Hottie!) Masculinity slowly returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rani
Playdude, why don't you just STFU already. Nobody cares about your (shriveled up geriatric) penis but you.
Oh Rani. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! My Eyes!
(clear mind of mental picture of "Old-Man PW"TM and his "imaginary friend"!)
I Am A Child of God/Nature/The Universe
I Think Globally and Act Individually(and possibly, voluntarily join-together with Others)
I Pray for World Peace & I Choose Less-Just Say: "NO!, Thank You."
-----------------------------------------