Generational Dynamics
Fourth Turning Forum Archive


Popular links:
Generational Dynamics Web Site
Generational Dynamics Forum
Fourth Turning Archive home page
New Fourth Turning Forum

Thread: 2012 Elections - Page 384







Post#9576 at 09-17-2012 11:18 AM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
09-17-2012, 11:18 AM #9576
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by Justin '77 View Post
Given as how people flying the American flag decided to kill some Libyans and not others during Libya's violent internal mix-up, the 'belief' of one party kind of rises to the level of 'fact' more than 'opinion'.

Nominally, of course. Then again, an embassy is also the place where the next part is concentrated:

So it's a -- whaddayacallit -- 'legitimate target'. Or at least reasonably sure to be chock-full of legitimate targets.

None of this is breaking any ground here.

Ahhhh. and now it come clear.

You imagine certain things, and on the strength of your imagining, expect certain concrete actions to be justified. That's a classic Prophet-gen thing, and really doesn't hold all that much water among the more reality-centered generations (which is to say, all of them). The communication breakdown here is pretty clearly on your end. Not to worry, though, that "you" is plural and encompasses a lot more than just this one subject, so you don't have to take it as a personal failing.
Most of what you wrote is the usual rantings of an isolationist who believes his country kills "wogs" for sport or something. I've been down that silly road with you before - not interested.

I will note this silliiness -

You imagine certain things,
and respond with this -

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/glen-d...ry?id=17229037

American Killed in Libya Was on Intel Mission to Track Weapons

One of the Americans killed alongside Ambassador Christopher Stevens in an attack on a U.S. diplomatic mission in Libya Tuesday told ABC News before his death that he was working with the State Department on an intelligence mission to round up dangerous weapons in the war-torn nation.

In an interview with ABC News last month, Glen Doherty, a 42-year-old former Navy SEAL who worked as a contractor with the State Department, said he personally went into the field to track down so-called MANPADS, shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles, and destroy them. After the fall of dictator Moammar Gadhafi, the State Department launched a mission to round up thousands of MANPADS that may have been looted from military installations across the country. U.S. officials previously told ABC News they were concerned the MANPADS could fall into the hands of terrorists, creating a threat to commercial airliners.
- as exemplary of the magic pony land where your clubhouse resides.

Also, this is exemplary of one of those Americans that affords you and others here the luxury of waxing on about your freedom of speech while scratching your balls in the comfort of your living room. This is the type of person that a-holes that abuse their right to freedom of speech put at additional risk.

I realize you're beyond the ability to now feel like an ass, but others might.
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

Its not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. Its much more akin to printing money. - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#9577 at 09-17-2012 11:22 AM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
09-17-2012, 11:22 AM #9577
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMc82 View Post
Mischaracterizing others' opinions: Check



Dismissing with magic pony land insults: Check

Advancement of human knowledge: Not found
Not having the balls to prove me wrong: Check
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

Its not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. Its much more akin to printing money. - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#9578 at 09-17-2012 11:25 AM by B Butler [at joined Nov 2011 #posts 2,329]
---
09-17-2012, 11:25 AM #9578
Join Date
Nov 2011
Posts
2,329

Left Arrow Where the Magic Ponies Live?

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
I do find it amusing that it is primarily our resident Xers choosing to live or at least espouse idealist fantasy worlds.
It makes kinda sorta sense. I grew up in an era where the GIs and Boomers thought strong efforts were required to do big things and believed that big things need doing. The Xers reject that. They don't want to put out effort or do anywhere near so much. They exemplify unravelling selfishness. In order to justify a me first attitude where nothing has to be returned to the community, you need to live in a magic pony land where problems requiring effort to fix don't exist.







Post#9579 at 09-17-2012 11:27 AM by Marx & Lennon [at '47 cohort still lost in Falwelland joined Sep 2001 #posts 16,709]
---
09-17-2012, 11:27 AM #9579
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
'47 cohort still lost in Falwelland
Posts
16,709

Quote Originally Posted by The Rani View Post
Yeah, I knew you couldn't get through that one without a personal attack.

As Odin points out, The Prophet technically WAS a child molester. I don't know the dude who made the movie, so maybe he really was trying to warn people about what he sees as an evil religion. And as an American, he has every right to do that.
It's fully permissible to yell FIRE in a crowded theater, if there really is a fire. Otherwise, no.
Marx: Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Lennon: You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.







Post#9580 at 09-17-2012 11:33 AM by Marx & Lennon [at '47 cohort still lost in Falwelland joined Sep 2001 #posts 16,709]
---
09-17-2012, 11:33 AM #9580
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
'47 cohort still lost in Falwelland
Posts
16,709

Quote Originally Posted by The Rani View Post
No "that's despicable" condemnations from the peanut gallery on this one?
H-m-m-m. Mom's way out of line in this, but there is no direct threat I can see; do you?

I don't know the law in Australia, but in the US, there needs to a threat of real, as opposed to faux, violence, and some action that indicates you're really serious.
Marx: Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Lennon: You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.







Post#9581 at 09-17-2012 11:40 AM by Aramea [at joined Jan 2011 #posts 743]
---
09-17-2012, 11:40 AM #9581
Join Date
Jan 2011
Posts
743

Quote Originally Posted by Marx & Lennon View Post
H-m-m-m. Mom's way out of line in this, but there is no direct threat I can see; do you?

I don't know the law in Australia, but in the US, there needs to a threat of real, as opposed to faux, violence, and some action that indicates you're really serious.
It reminded me a bit of jars of fetuses being shoved in faces at abortion clinics. Nasty piece of work but "permissable" under the constitution. It gets more serious when they bomb the clinic.







Post#9582 at 09-17-2012 11:59 AM by Brian Rush [at California joined Jul 2001 #posts 12,392]
---
09-17-2012, 11:59 AM #9582
Join Date
Jul 2001
Location
California
Posts
12,392

Quote Originally Posted by Marx & Lennon View Post
H-m-m-m. Mom's way out of line in this, but there is no direct threat I can see; do you?

I don't know the law in Australia, but in the US, there needs to a threat of real, as opposed to faux, violence, and some action that indicates you're really serious.
She wasn't suggesting that the woman was doing something illegal, but something worthy of moral condemnation. I'll agree that that sentiment is despicable. I didn't bring it up because I would have thought that was stating the obvious.
"And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?"

My blog: https://brianrushwriter.wordpress.com/

The Order Master (volume one of Refuge), a science fantasy. Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZZWEAS
Smashwords link: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/382903







Post#9583 at 09-17-2012 12:07 PM by Justin '77 [at Meh. joined Sep 2001 #posts 12,182]
---
09-17-2012, 12:07 PM #9583
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
Meh.
Posts
12,182

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
I will note this silliness - [snip my observation that the demons from which he is saving us are in pw's imagination]



and respond with this -

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/glen-d...ry?id=17229037



- as exemplary of the magic pony land where your clubhouse resides.
Again with the poor reading comprehension? As I said, it's noncontroversial that the job the guy-who-got-killed elected to engage in involved the movement of small antiaircraft rocket systems. The imagination part comes in where you simply choose to believe that, absent this guy and people like him, Evildoers would engage in Evil directed at Us and Ours Over Here.
Even if we grant it undeserved contact with the term, it nevertheless remains a logical leap of unreasonable magnitude. Except in your imagination.
"Qu'est-ce que c'est que cela, la loi ? On peut donc tre dehors. Je ne comprends pas. Quant moi, suis-je dans la loi ? suis-je hors la loi ? Je n'en sais rien. Mourir de faim, est-ce tre dans la loi ?" -- Tellmarch

"Человек не может снять с себя ответственности за свои поступки." - L. Tolstoy

"[it]
is no doubt obvious, the cult of the experts is both self-serving, for those who propound it, and fraudulent." - Noam Chomsky







Post#9584 at 09-17-2012 12:09 PM by Brian Rush [at California joined Jul 2001 #posts 12,392]
---
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM #9584
Join Date
Jul 2001
Location
California
Posts
12,392

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
Most of what you wrote is the usual rantings of an isolationist who believes his country kills "wogs" for sport or something. I've been down that silly road with you before - not interested.
How about going around with me on it, then?

"Sport" is irrelevant here; obviously that isn't why we kill wogs. We kill wogs because they inhabit land that's full of oil and we haven't been self-sufficient in oil production since 1970. If the people there were, you know, spics or chinks or nigras or something instead of wogs -- hell, even if they were whiteys -- we'd still kill them. It's not directed against wogs specifically. They just happen to be the ones in the way.

So we support dictators of one kind and another (the Romans used to call this kind of critter a "client king") who will sell us their oil nice and cheap, and/or with a good profit for our own oil companies, and those dictators kill wogs. Or, when a dictator gets uppity like Saddam Hussein did, we'll go the more expensive route, bomb, invade, and kill wogs our own selves instead of by proxy. It's perfectly understandable that this ticks folks off. Then they do things like fly airplanes into our buildings, and we do more bombing and invading to hunt down those responsible (supposedly).

I know they like to talk religion when they say why the hate our guts, but you'll notice that they don't equally hate the guts of other countries who are at least equally infidelish if not more so. That being the case, one is justified in questioning whether they are fully sincere in this expression of religious motivation. An alternative explanation isn't that hard to find.
"And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?"

My blog: https://brianrushwriter.wordpress.com/

The Order Master (volume one of Refuge), a science fantasy. Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZZWEAS
Smashwords link: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/382903







Post#9585 at 09-17-2012 12:26 PM by Marx & Lennon [at '47 cohort still lost in Falwelland joined Sep 2001 #posts 16,709]
---
09-17-2012, 12:26 PM #9585
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
'47 cohort still lost in Falwelland
Posts
16,709

Quote Originally Posted by Justin '77 View Post
Again with the poor reading comprehension? As I said, it's noncontroversial that the job the guy-who-got-killed elected to engage in involved the movement of small antiaircraft rocket systems. The imagination part comes in where you simply choose to believe that, absent this guy and people like him, Evildoers would engage in Evil directed at Us and Ours Over Here.

Even if we grant it undeserved contact with the term, it nevertheless remains a logical leap of unreasonable magnitude. Except in your imagination.
Based on simple observation of events over the last several years, the likelihood of real violence directed at uninvolved innocents is very high. Add to that, the gunslinger mentality that fails to see shoulder launched antiaircraft missles as inherenly dangerous in and of themselves, and what can we conclude?

If you really believe that emotinally unstable people acting in the name of their chosen god(s) will not reek mayhem on anyone who offends them when given the means to do so, then you are living in a dream world I don't understand. In case you've never had to deal with any of them, irrational people are not under their own control, to say nothing of external controls they may despise. Shall we honor their rights, and allow them the arms of their choice?
Marx: Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Lennon: You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.







Post#9586 at 09-17-2012 12:52 PM by Marx & Lennon [at '47 cohort still lost in Falwelland joined Sep 2001 #posts 16,709]
---
09-17-2012, 12:52 PM #9586
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
'47 cohort still lost in Falwelland
Posts
16,709

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rush View Post
How about going around with me on it, then?

"Sport" is irrelevant here; obviously that isn't why we kill wogs. We kill wogs because they inhabit land that's full of oil and we haven't been self-sufficient in oil production since 1970. If the people there were, you know, spics or chinks or nigras or something instead of wogs -- hell, even if they were whiteys -- we'd still kill them. It's not directed against wogs specifically. They just happen to be the ones in the way.

So we support dictators of one kind and another (the Romans used to call this kind of critter a "client king") who will sell us their oil nice and cheap, and/or with a good profit for our own oil companies, and those dictators kill wogs. Or, when a dictator gets uppity like Saddam Hussein did, we'll go the more expensive route, bomb, invade, and kill wogs our own selves instead of by proxy. It's perfectly understandable that this ticks folks off. Then they do things like fly airplanes into our buildings, and we do more bombing and invading to hunt down those responsible (supposedly).

I know they like to talk religion when they say why the hate our guts, but you'll notice that they don't equally hate the guts of other countries who are at least equally infidelish if not more so. That being the case, one is justified in questioning whether they are fully sincere in this expression of religious motivation. An alternative explanation isn't that hard to find.
Have we been reprehensible scumbags in service to our own gluttony? Sure, no question about it. Looking at the last 60 years or so, we've meddled in just about every corner of the world. We've made a lot of enemies. That said, we are here now. We can't hit the undo button, and, for instance, restore Mohammad Mosaddegh to his position in Iran.

So given the place we are, and an unbending history, how do we proceed? As the world's only superpower, it's virtually impossible to do nothing, yet it's harmful for us to do anything. We're nearly muscle bound, yet lethal in the extreme. But in the end, we matter more than any other nation at this moment in time. There are plenty of scumbags in the world to creat havoc, with or without our help. If we become isolationist, and disengage from the world, do you think things will improve? I don't see that as likely, but make a case for how the world functions with a totally passive US, if you can.
Marx: Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Lennon: You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.







Post#9587 at 09-17-2012 12:54 PM by Aramea [at joined Jan 2011 #posts 743]
---
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM #9587
Join Date
Jan 2011
Posts
743

Quote Originally Posted by The Rani View Post
In case you hadn't noticed, the a-hole in question put his own life at risk.
This is a good point, actually. Salman Rushdie still has a price on his head.







Post#9588 at 09-17-2012 01:16 PM by Marx & Lennon [at '47 cohort still lost in Falwelland joined Sep 2001 #posts 16,709]
---
09-17-2012, 01:16 PM #9588
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
'47 cohort still lost in Falwelland
Posts
16,709

Quote Originally Posted by Aramea View Post
Quote Originally Posted by The Rani View Post
In case you hadn't noticed, the a-hole in question put his own life at risk.
This is a good point, actually. Salman Rushdie still has a price on his head.
All true, but who is this guy (assuming this is the act of a single individual). There is a narrative, but no face I've seen anywhere. Our Coptic Christian could be a phantom ... or a costume.

I wonder what entitites are digging into this in earnest. It might be best if the cloak is pulled back by the press - preferably not ours.
Marx: Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Lennon: You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.







Post#9589 at 09-17-2012 01:24 PM by Kurt Horner [at joined Oct 2001 #posts 1,656]
---
09-17-2012, 01:24 PM #9589
Join Date
Oct 2001
Posts
1,656

Quote Originally Posted by the bouncer View Post
but should you be protected from the real consequences of the insults you throw out?
What does this statement even mean?

I think people who say cruel things should be free to say them, should not suffer legal penalties for doing so and have full legal redress against anyone who does harm to them because they were rude. How about you?







Post#9590 at 09-17-2012 01:30 PM by Marx & Lennon [at '47 cohort still lost in Falwelland joined Sep 2001 #posts 16,709]
---
09-17-2012, 01:30 PM #9590
Join Date
Sep 2001
Location
'47 cohort still lost in Falwelland
Posts
16,709

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Horner View Post
What does this statement even mean?

I think people who say cruel things should be free to say them, should not suffer legal penalties for doing so and have full legal redress against anyone who does harm to them because they were rude. How about you?
Does that extend to slander? Slander can and does have very real impacts on people. If you agree that slander is unacceptable, what about "full legal redress" in that case?
Marx: Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Lennon: You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.







Post#9591 at 09-17-2012 01:36 PM by Kurt Horner [at joined Oct 2001 #posts 1,656]
---
09-17-2012, 01:36 PM #9591
Join Date
Oct 2001
Posts
1,656

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
Maybe then you could also state the obvious that many radical Muslims will take every advantage to not only hurt Americans but they're hoping to do it in a way that drives even a greater wedge between the Islamic world and everyone else.
And this just shows that the person who needs to learn how to walk and chew gum at the same time is you. It is possible to both condemn America's belligerent foreign policy and recognize that the culture of the Middle East is one of the most violent on Earth, and not just because they've been kicked around a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by playwrite View Post
If it has to be a criminal offense in order for you to condemn it, then there is a huge difference beween our positions.
I condemn the filmmaker, but he is not responsible for anyone's death. The murderers themselves are. Period.







Post#9592 at 09-17-2012 01:43 PM by JDFP [at Knoxville, TN. joined Jul 2010 #posts 1,200]
---
09-17-2012, 01:43 PM #9592
Join Date
Jul 2010
Location
Knoxville, TN.
Posts
1,200

Some interesting thoughts here. My perspective? If Westboro Church (and I won't say Westboro "Baptist" because it's an insult to most decent Baptists out there) wants to make an embarrassing ass of themselves and stand on a street corner and picket a veteran's funeral - they have the inalienable right to do so. Is it bad taste? Absolutely. But they have this right to do this. Do I agree with what they are doing? Absolutely not. But, I'll defend their ability to be able to make asses of themselves as that's their inalienable right to speak their piece.

If biker gangs wants to park their bikes across from the cemetery and rev-up their engines during the funeral so the family of the fallen soldier doesn't have to listen to the jeers and insults of the Westboro folks - they have the right to do this and should be able to do so.

A nut from Westboro does not have the right to become violent and aggressive with people who are walking by them. Likewise, the biker gang does not have the right to kick the shit out of the Westboro people for making asses of themselves (even though many of us wouldn't mind to see that happen) as that would be an infringement on their personage.

If someone wants to make an inflammatory Christian or Islamic film - they should be able to say what they want to say. It doesn't mean I have to be subjected to agree with it or watch it. And if Christians or Muslims want to protest what is said in said film - they should be able to do so in a peaceful manner. If the Muslim Brotherhood wants to decide to use the excuse of a film maybe 50 people had seen to slaughter an ambassador - it's not acceptable. Violence should never be an outcome of protest out of dissent for thought - and when it is it should be quashed immediately and forcefully of necessary to protect everyone.

By their actions you shall know them though - terrorists like to hide behind religious affiliations.

j.p.

"And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so? I did. And what did you want? To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.‎" -- Raymond Carver


"A
page of good prose remains invincible." -- John Cheever










Post#9593 at 09-17-2012 01:43 PM by Aramea [at joined Jan 2011 #posts 743]
---
09-17-2012, 01:43 PM #9593
Join Date
Jan 2011
Posts
743

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Horner View Post
And this just shows that the person who needs to learn how to walk and chew gum at the same time is you. It is possible to both condemn America's belligerent foreign policy and recognize that the culture of the Middle East is one of the most violent on Earth, and not just because they've been kicked around a lot.



I condemn the filmmaker, but he is not responsible for anyone's death. The murderers themselves are. Period.

Actually, we lock up people all the time for the crimes of others, so not period. Accessory after the fact is one of the more questionable crimes in my opinion. Driving a car with a dead body in the trunk can put you in jail for a long time even if you didn't pull the trigger. Giving someone a gun or money to commit a crime can, too. Money is speech now. Before you condemn what I wrote, reread your statements. Giving someone money doesn't kill anyone, right?







Post#9594 at 09-17-2012 01:53 PM by JustPassingThrough [at joined Dec 2006 #posts 5,196]
---
09-17-2012, 01:53 PM #9594
Join Date
Dec 2006
Posts
5,196

There are a lot of polls 5 days old or more in the RCP Average at this point, but if you take the 3 recent ones that run through yesterday, this is what it looks like:

Obama: 47
Romney: 45.7

Margin: Obama +1.3
Undecied/Other: 7.3
Last edited by JustPassingThrough; 09-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.
"I see you got your fist out, say your peace and get out. Yeah I get the gist of it, but it's alright." - Jerry Garcia, 1987







Post#9595 at 09-17-2012 01:53 PM by Kurt Horner [at joined Oct 2001 #posts 1,656]
---
09-17-2012, 01:53 PM #9595
Join Date
Oct 2001
Posts
1,656

Quote Originally Posted by Marx & Lennon View Post
Does that extend to slander? Slander can and does have very real impacts on people. If you agree that slander is unacceptable, what about "full legal redress" in that case?
Would you allow a person who was being slandered to assault the person who slandered them? No, of course not. The important moral distinction here is that speech does not create a justification for retaliatory violence.

Now with to regard to slander, I think that you may have a bit of a point -- except that in order to be slander, the thing being said must a) be false and b) must cause the slandered person to lose opportunities which they otherwise would have had. In other words, there has to be a material impact stemming from a lie.

In the case of this film, there is no material impact. Being butthurt is not a tort. Moreover, some of the "slanders" in the film (like Mohammed having sex with a child) are true, and thus not actually slander.







Post#9596 at 09-17-2012 02:00 PM by Aramea [at joined Jan 2011 #posts 743]
---
09-17-2012, 02:00 PM #9596
Join Date
Jan 2011
Posts
743

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Horner View Post
Would you allow a person who was being slandered to assault the person who slandered them? No, of course not. The important moral distinction here is that speech does not create a justification for retaliatory violence.

Now with to regard to slander, I think that you may have a bit of a point -- except that in order to be slander, the thing being said must a) be false and b) must cause the slandered person to lose opportunities which they otherwise would have had. In other words, there has to be a material impact stemming from a lie.

In the case of this film, there is no material impact. Being butthurt is not a tort. Moreover, some of the "slanders" in the film (like Mohammed having sex with a child) are true, and thus not actually slander.
LOL, I definitely give you this one, else there would be no more "in-laws" ...







Post#9597 at 09-17-2012 02:15 PM by Kurt Horner [at joined Oct 2001 #posts 1,656]
---
09-17-2012, 02:15 PM #9597
Join Date
Oct 2001
Posts
1,656

Quote Originally Posted by Aramea View Post
Actually, we lock up people all the time for the crimes of others, so not period. Accessory after the fact is one of the more questionable crimes in my opinion. Driving a car with a dead body in the trunk can put you in jail for a long time even if you didn't pull the trigger. Giving someone a gun or money to commit a crime can, too. Money is speech now. Before you condemn what I wrote, reread your statements. Giving someone money doesn't kill anyone, right?
Asking someone to commit a crime for you is just like committing that crime yourself. Now if this film had a line where the Mohammed character said "You should go riot at an American Embassy" then maybe you'd have an argument. But since that's not the case, I find it bizarre that you would equate saying mean things to Arabs as the equivalent of hiring a contract killer. Apparently, Arabs have no moral agency of their own; they're all just wind-up toys that shitty filmmakers can set loose upon the world.

I really don't like the concept of the filmmaker being "responsible." It treats actual human beings in the middle east like movie props.
Last edited by Kurt Horner; 09-17-2012 at 02:18 PM.







Post#9598 at 09-17-2012 02:20 PM by playwrite [at NYC joined Jul 2005 #posts 10,443]
---
09-17-2012, 02:20 PM #9598
Join Date
Jul 2005
Location
NYC
Posts
10,443

Quote Originally Posted by Justin '77 View Post
Again with the poor reading comprehension? As I said, it's noncontroversial that the job the guy-who-got-killed elected to engage in involved the movement of small antiaircraft rocket systems. The imagination part comes in where you simply choose to believe that, absent this guy and people like him, Evildoers would engage in Evil directed at Us and Ours Over Here.
Even if we grant it undeserved contact with the term, it nevertheless remains a logical leap of unreasonable magnitude. Except in your imagination.
Yea, and I'm sure a decade ago you'd be trying to convince us that none of your "wogs" would commit suicide by taking command and crashing their commercial planes into buildings.

It's not a matter of evil doers engaging, it's a matter of stopping them. And, it takes more than your magic ponies pooping accolades of the freedom of speech to stop them. It takes people willing to put their lives on the line for the rest of us.

Now, back to scratching your balls and dreaming of your Mogadishu paradise.
"The Devil enters the prompter's box and the play is ready to start" - R. Service

Its not tax money. The banks have accounts with the Fed so, to lend to a bank, we simply use the computer to mark up the size of the account that they have with the Fed. Its much more akin to printing money. - B.Bernanke


"Keep your filthy hands off my guns while I decide what you can & can't do with your uterus" - Sarah Silverman

If you meet a magic pony on the road, kill it. - Playwrite







Post#9599 at 09-17-2012 02:22 PM by Aramea [at joined Jan 2011 #posts 743]
---
09-17-2012, 02:22 PM #9599
Join Date
Jan 2011
Posts
743

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Horner View Post
Asking someone to commit a crime for you is just like committing that crime yourself. Now if this film had a line where the Mohammed character said "You should go riot at an American Embassy" then maybe you'd have an argument. But since that's not the case, I find it bizarre that you would equate saying mean things to Arabs as the equivalent of hiring a contract killer. Apparently, Arabs have no moral agency of their own; they're all just wind-up toys that shitty filmmakers can set loose upon the world.

My point was only that people are charged with crimes that they don't actually commit as a matter of course. If you give someone a gun and tell them to shoot someone and they are weak enough to do it for you, then you are culpable whether you paid them or not. I am not equating them, but you implied that ONLY the killers are responsible. Technically, that is actually true, and I used to argue that very thing. The would be killer could say, "no, I am not going to do that" and the co-consiprator would actually have to commit the murder or find another patsy or let the person live. I have since come around to thinking that the weak-minded person would likely never have committed the crime without the catalyst.







Post#9600 at 09-17-2012 02:29 PM by Brian Rush [at California joined Jul 2001 #posts 12,392]
---
09-17-2012, 02:29 PM #9600
Join Date
Jul 2001
Location
California
Posts
12,392

Quote Originally Posted by Marx & Lennon View Post
Have we been reprehensible scumbags in service to our own gluttony? Sure, no question about it. Looking at the last 60 years or so, we've meddled in just about every corner of the world. We've made a lot of enemies. That said, we are here now. We can't hit the undo button, and, for instance, restore Mohammad Mosaddegh to his position in Iran.
No, we can't undo the reprehensible things we've already done. But we CAN stop doing the ones we're doing now, and refrain from doing them in the future.

If for any reason we can't do that, then we are just going to have to live with the violent (and completely justified) consequences. No, Muslims aren't justified in attacking our people overseas because some American made a stupid film saying nasty things about Mohammed. But they're arguably a lot more justified in doing that because we're over there killing them.
"And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?"

My blog: https://brianrushwriter.wordpress.com/

The Order Master (volume one of Refuge), a science fantasy. Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZZWEAS
Smashwords link: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/382903
-----------------------------------------